EIGHTY YEARS AGO
May 21, 1930
* Two Monett young men riding on a motorcycle ran into the side of a switch engine at Central Avenue crossing. The young men, William Schucht and Marion Dameron, were both injured.
* Kiwanis Clubs of Monett and Rogers, Ark., will hold a meeting at Cassville for the purpose of interesting Cassville men in the organization of a club there.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 21, 1940
* James Clinton Wallington, three-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Clint Wallington, of Monett, was the only blue ribbon baby out of 53 children examined at the pre-school clinic here Monday. He is the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Mont Bentley, 311 Sixth.
* The formal opening of the new Westport Café will be held tonight with a dance to the music of Jerry Petit and his orchestra, it has been announced by H.G. Coffman, owner of the café.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 21, 1950
* Monett's flower lovers turned out in full force over the weekend to present and enjoy the highly successful second annual exhibition given under the supervision of the Garden Club Council.
* The Monett Junior College Council sent its last package last week to the destitute in Italy as part of an exchange program in which Italian students reciprocated with an article made by them.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 21, 1960
* Shirley Campbell and Vikki Haddock, students of Jim Richardson, MHS art instructor, were honored as outstanding art students for the year at the high school by members of the Collective Arts Group.
* Top two students graduating at Trinity Lutheran School this year are Carol Knaust, valedictorian, and Eugene Aufdembrink, salutatorian.
|FORTY YEARS AGO|
May 21, 1970
* Margaret Moss, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Moss, of Sarcoxie and a member of the Monett St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, was salutatorian of the 1970 graduating class at Sarcoxie High School.
* Open house will be held at the Hoffman-Taff plant in Verona on Sunday, May 31, in commemorating the 10th anniversary of the plant.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 21, 1980
* Over 40 shooters from three states participated in the 18th annual Monett Rifle Club Muzzle Loaders Spring Shoot, held Saturday and Sunday at the range northeast of Monett, with champions named in each of the six shooting categories.
* Mr. and Mrs. Wes Jarecke, of Monett, were among those from throughout the United States and Canada who attended the mid-year conference and continuing education seminars of the American College of Apothecaries held over the weekend in St. Louis.
|TWENTY YEARS AGO|
May 21, 1990
* Preliminary designs for the new rural water system serving a 104-square-mile area of northern Barry and southern Lawrence counties were reviewed at a meeting last night at the Park Casino.
* Around 100 young fishermen and their parents huddled around Monett City Park on Saturday, braving intermittent showers to participate in the annual Monett Sportsmen's League's Fishing Derby.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 21, 2000
* Winners of the eighth annual Monett Middle School Trivia Bowl were David Brock, Tyler Hobbs, Ben Woods and Brett Beard.
* George Thomas, of Hallsville, a Purdy native, captured first place in the Kodak Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.