|EIGHTY YEARS AGO|
May 20, 1930
* The Elliot and Humy Barbershop and Larry Miller's Barbershop were broken into last night.
* Clarence (Bat) Schafnitt, of Monett, who has been with the Bronson players in California during the winter months, has signed up with the Allerita Loomis players for the summer, playing through Colorado and Utah.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1940
* A 1937 coach belonging to C.A. Parmalee was stolen from in front of his residence, 405 Sixth St., last night after midnight.
* Mrs. J.P. Arend, Mrs. E.A. Everley, Mrs. W.J. Mills and Mrs. J.J. King attended the meeting of the Eastern Star at Miller last evening. Mrs. Arend, district deputy for District 55, was making her official visit.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1950
* Oris B. Hall, formerly of Butler, has purchased the Monett lockers from E.W. Potter and will take possession of the frozen food plant June 1.
* Mrs. Glen Pruitt, of Pierce City, was elected president of the Lawrence County Republican Women's Club at a meeting in Mt. Vernon.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1960
* Monett attorneys William H. Pinnell and E.L. Monroe have purchased the building housing Ray's Shoe Store and the Beauty Spot at Third and Broadway, with plans calling for the construction of a new law office on the north end of the structure.
* Commencement exercises for the 1960 Verona High School senior class were held Thursday night in the high school auditorium.
|FORTY YEARS AGO|
May 20, 1970
* Mark McCaffrey was dismissed yesterday from Lester D. Cox Medical Center in Springfield, where he had been a patient for the past several weeks.
* Kenneth G. Meuser, publisher of The Monett Times, entered Lester E. Cox Medical Center yesterday where he underwent knee surgery this morning.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1980
* A new modern communications system which Mayor Harrell Hall describes as "second to none" and which serves all departments of the city, was activated yesterday and completes a project which got underway in November and which also included remodeling of a part of the Monett City Hall to provide modernization and centralization of the city's police department.
* Construction of the new State School #34 on school property at the south end of Linden is expected to start by the end of June or the first of July.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 20, 1990
* Growing from diversity and preparing for the changes ahead were the challenges posed by the 1990 honor graduates during commencement exercises held Friday night at Monett High School in the E.E. Camp Gymnasium.
* Captain Eddie Estes, former prisoner of war in Vietnam, told the Purdy High School graduating class that he was shot down trying to hit a small bridge which could be easily rebuilt. Estes said he personally believed the targets they pursued were not worth the five years of his life and the flight leader's spent in prison.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 20, 2000
* A "vote of confidence in our teachers" by the Pierce City School Board adopted a salary increased for certified teachers adding $63,050 to the budget for next year.
* At commencement exercises on Sunday, the 17 members of the Verona High School graduating class heard a speech from James Sheldon, who was retiring after 21 years of teacher in Verona.