|EIGHTY YEARS AGO|
May 19, 1930
* Miss Marie Flaherty has resigned her position as bookeeper for Whitlock-Lines Feed and Seed Company, a position she has held for six years.
* Miss Martha Kinell visited over the weekend at Tulsa, Okla, the guest of Mrs. Ancil Welsh. Mrs. Welsh was formerly Miss Fern Rumbaugh, of Monett.
|SEVENTY YEARS AGO|
May 19, 1940
* Miss Norma Fritz, attractive brunette daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arno Fritz, was elected Monett Smile Girl for 1940 in a contest held at the Gillioz Theatre on Saturday.
* Monett firemen were called to the Walter Cree residence, 700 Cleveland, yesterday to extinguish a fire in the attic. Damage was slight.
|SIXTY YEARS AGO|
May 19, 1950
* Vivian Arnaud, 16-year-old brunette with sparkling dark eyes, was chosen Barry County Dairy Queen last night in competition with nine other girls who live on farms over the county. Second and third places were won by Noralee Phariss and Rosemary Stanlee.
* Miss Lucille Wormington has accepted a teaching position with the Tulsa Schools in Oklahoma. She taught in the commerce department at Monett High School and Junior College for the last six years.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 19, 1960
* Top honor students of the eight grade graduating class at St. Joseph's School in Monett have been announced with Kay McIntyre and Jane Arend selected.
* Commencement exercises for Monett High School's 99 seniors in the 1960 graduating class will be held Friday in the new MHS gymnasium. Featured speaker will be Dr. Harry Siceluff, professor of education at Southwest Missouri State College.
|FORTY YEARS AGO|
May 19. 1970
* Two Wentworth men captured championship in the Oil Capitol Open Horseshoe Tournament held in Tulsa, Okla. They are David Baker in the A division and Ramon Carver in the B division.
* Becky Chaney, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Norman Chaney, of Cassville, and a senior at the University of Arkansas, has been selected outstanding senior graduate of the Women's Recreation Association and Intramural Sports Program.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
* Monett emergency plan to provide adequate treatment for city wastewater until problems with the bio-surf unit at the new $6.4 million plant can be solved was implemented this morning.
* In voting Friday and Saturday, employees of Ozark Electric Cooperative Inc. in Mt. Vernon have discontinued representation by the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 753.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 19, 1990
* Kelly Garrett and Christine Hutchens, both former lifeguards at the Monett Municipal Swimming Pool, have been hired a joint caretakers/managers of the pool for the 1990 summer season by the Monett City Council.
* Monett will be losing a longtime industry with announcement made this week that Stoops Manufacturing will be moving its entire operation to Aurora during the next few months.
|TEN YEARS AGO|
May 19, 2000
* A study showing Monett businesses appear to be capturing more of the market share of business beginning in 1998 was presented this week to the Monett Chamber of Commerce.
* Jane Hale, children's author from Buffalo, recently visited Monett for the Missouri Writer's Conference, taking the time to donate some of her work to the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library.