EIGHTY YEARS AGO
May 14, 1930
* Producers of Ozark strawberries are receiving top prices for their fruit this year, more than they have received since wartime. On Tuesday night the berries sold at from $6 to $6.65.
* In the 1930 census, the population of McDonald County is 13,979, compared with 14,690 in 1920.
|SEVENTY YEARS AGO|
May 14, 1940
* WPA officials expect to be able to start paving on Cale Street Monday. The crew is finishing up on Front and the side streets connecting Front and Broadway.
* Monett city policemen will blossom out in new uniforms in the next few days. The summer uniforms will consist of a proper police cap, same brown belt with pistol holster, grey cotton shirt, blue serge trousers and black shoes.
|SIXTY YEARS AGO|
May 14, 1950
* The City of Monett will hold open house next week at the new modern disposal plant at the southwest corner of the city.
* The Circle Eight Square Dancers went completely western Friday night and in high-heeled boots, checkered shirts and other accouterments of the cowboy and cowgirl, hitched a hayrack ride to the Lazy M Ranch where they square danced the evening away.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 14, 1960
* Valedictorian and salutatorian of the 1960 Monett High School graduating class have been announced by Principal Wayne F. Wright. Kay Parker, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Howard Parker, will be valedictorian and Karen Tucker, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.J. Tucker, is salutatorian.
* A seven-room farm home owned by Bob Walker, of Monett, located about five miles northeast of the city, was completely destroyed by fire this morning.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 14, 1970
* Mrs. Walter Ruse, of St. Joseph, arrived in Monett Thursday to visit with her brother-in-law and sister, Mr. and Mrs. Everett Prevo.
* Mrs. Ross Wright, of Monett, is spending the weekend in Bentonville, Ark., with her mother-in-law, Mable Pace.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 14, 1980
* Installation of officers for the coming year for Ladies Auxiliary of Tom Wolfe Memorial Post #4207, Veterans of Foreign Wars, was held last night at the VFW Building with Donna Garris installed as president.
* At the Monett High School Concert Band spring concert, Diane Johnson, a clarinetist, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.L. Johnson, received the John Philip Sousa Award.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 14, 1990
* Commencement exercises for the 107 members of the Monett High School Class of 1990 will be held May 18 at the E.E. Camp Gymnasium.
* Valedictorian for the Pierce City High School 1990 graduating class will be John Kleiboeker, son of Donald and Carole Kleiboeker. Brian Jones, son of Richard and Mary Jones, is salutatorian.
|TEN YEARS AGO|
May 14, 2000
* Two meetings of the Monett City Council will be held this week. The Wednesday session will feature expert commentary from the medical field on adding fluoride to Monett's drinking water.
* Jack Henry and Associates announced it has teamed with IBM to provide community bankers with two new solutions for business development and intelligence. IBM's Customer Relationship Management application and Business Intelligence solutions, integrated with Jack Henry's core systems, will assist community bankers in improving profitability and enhancing customer relations.