EIGHTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1930
* John Herriman, 10-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Herriman, 411 Euclid Ave., fell from a tree at his home and broke his left shoulder and suffered internal injuries.
* The approaching marriage of Marie Ryan and Joseph Kane was announced Sunday at the St. Lawrence Catholic Church.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1940
* Mrs. Mix Davis, Mrs. Victor Cox, Mrs. H.L. Siebenthaler and Mrs. Jerre McKellops will attend the Tri-State Women's golf meet at the Shifferdecker Park in Joplin tomorrow.
* George Riggs, of Aurora, has accepted a position at the White Way Barber Shop. Carl Carlin, who has been employed there, has gone to work at the Booster Station.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1950
* Rosalie Criswell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Rhodes Criswell, has been named valedictorian of the 1950 graduating class at Monett High School. Salutatorian is Patsy Leuthen.
* A Country Store will be held in conjunction with the Monett Garden Clubs' flower show next Saturday and Sunday. In the store will be an assortment of blouses, smocks, bonnets, aprons, fancy work and other articles for women to wear while digging in their gardens or at home.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1960
* Two medals were awarded to Pierce City High School art students at the art show held this week at Central School in Pierce City under the direction of Mrs. Lanola Hodge. Receiving medals for outstanding work were Sara Jane Wicks for paintings and ceramics and Elizabeth Roesch for sculpture.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1970
* Top graduates for 1970 at Monett High School from the 108 seniors are Deborah Elwell, valedictorian, and Mickey Fulp, salutatorian.
* Population of Monett in the 1970 census is listed at 5,786, according to preliminary figures, an 8 percent rise over the past 10 years.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1980
* Monett escaped the brunt of yesterday evening's thunderstorm although heavy winds knocked down telephone poles near Pierce City and lightning caused isolated difficulty in telephone service to residents in the Monett area.
* What was perhaps one of the most productive and active years ever for the Monett Jaycee chapter was climaxed over the weekend at the Jaycee State Convention in St. Louis. Four chapter members were installed into five state or regional offices.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
May 13, 1990
* New officers have been installed at Tom Wolfe Memorial Post 4207, Veterans of Foreign Wars. They include Commander Gene Cunningham; Clarence Rawlings, senior vice commander; and John Garrison, quartermaster.
* Monett High School boys and girls track teams each qualified in six events for sectional competition at the district track meet, held Saturday at Reeds Spring.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 13, 2000
* The volume of exclamations from both the crowd and students at Monett's graduation on Friday seemed a bit diminished from the bouyant exuberance of the first two years of graduations at the new high school. But as the ceremony progressed, families burst out in cheers, some air horns sounded, classmates in the stands cheered particularly for their favorite athletes, and the intensity kept building until the final moment, the cheering and tossing of mortar boards into the air that marked the end of a long educational journey.