EIGHTY YEARS AGO
May 12, 1930
* A marriage that comes as quite a surprise to friends is that of Miss Dimple Davis, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W.E. Davis, of Monett, and Ray Fagan, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Fagan, of Robinson, Ill., taking place on May 7.
* Mrs. Amy E. Blair, wife of Frank Blair, a Frisco conductor, died at her home at Maple Terrace in Monett.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
May 12, 1940
* L.G. Jones Jr. returned last night from Rochester, Minn., where Mrs. Jones is in the hospital.
* Richard Finley, who is leaving the last of the month to enter radio and television school in Chicago, Ill., was honored with a basket dinner at the E.N. Finley home in Monett yesterday.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
May 12, 1950
* As of this morning the unofficials 1950 census for the City of Monett was a few over 4,800.
* Mrs. Helen Sagar left Wednesday morning for Wichita, Kan., where she will visit in the home of a friend, one of her classmates at Kansas University.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
May 12, 1960
* A night freefall of 10,000 feet over Germany by Sergeant George Taylor, son of Mr. and Mrs. Paul Taylor, of Verona, and partner, Captain Phillip Miller, was the first successful nighttime freefall of more than 60 seconds ever recorded in Europe.
* Russell Keeling, of Purdy, student and grader for religious education at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, in Kansas City, has been named to the faculty of William Jewell College in Liberty.
FORTY YEARS AGO
May 12, 1970
* Construction resumed yesterday on a new corner marquee at the Monett Area Vocational Technical School, which will, when completed, be used to list activities and coming events at the school.
* Arriving in Monett on Saturday for an extended visit was Miss Dewella Boys, of Sacramento, Calif, who will be the guest of her grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. A. L. Woolsey.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
May 12, 1980
* Steve Wise, of Monett, was elected and installed as one of three state Jaycee vice presidents at the State Jaycee Convention, held in St. Louis.
* Mary Kay Huddle has been named director of the Monett Summer Youth Program, which will run June 9 to July 25.
TWENTY YEAS AGO
May 12, 1990
* The retirement of Omer J. Twitty as Monett parks superintendent and the resignation of two other city employees were approved at yesterday's Monett City Council meeting.
* Dr. Stephen Maus, and Republic dentist and a native of Monett, was installed as president of the Springfield Dental Society.
TEN YEARS AGO
May 12, 2000
* Mike Redshaw was named the new fire chief in Purdy at this week's meeting of the Purdy City Council. The appointment followed the resignation of J.D. Pennington after comments by aldermen and Mayor Curtis Betterton about the state of the fire department last month.
* George Woodward has resigned as chairman of the Lawrence County Tax Board for the Developmentally Disabled.