EIGHTY YEARS AGO
April 30, 1930
* W.W. Stephens, manager of the Missouri Fruit Exchange branch office at DeQueen, Ark., during the strawberry season there, will return to Monett this week, the strawberry season to open here within two weeks.
* A very delightful lesson was given at the Hawthorne Club by Mrs. Carl W. Lehnhard, who told of her recent trip to Europe.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
April 30, 1940
* Mr. and Mrs. Charles Turner and Mr. and Mrs. Will Turner, of Rolla, will be weekend guests of Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Roderick and family.
* Wilma Ruth Rittenhouse, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S.O. Rittenhouse, celebrated her eighth birthday anniversary yesterday by giving a party at Plymouth school from 4 to 6 o'clock.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
April 30, 1950
* Mrs. Ivan Helmkamp, 814 Ninth, won the $2,500 grand prize in The Monett Times "Everybody Wins" subscription contest which ended Saturday afternoon.
* The opening of Monett Sheet Metal Works at 10th and Cale is announced by Theodore "Ted" Riggs, who moved here from Tulsa to re-open the business formerly operated as the Hunter Sheet Metal Works.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
April 30, 1960
* Pre-season estimates on the 1960 strawberry crop in the Monett to Washburn area indicate that as many or more berries will be shipped this year than were marketed in 1959.
* Future Homemakers of America officers were elected yesterday at Monett High School. They include Patricia East, president; Gail Cox, treasurer; Livana Hinds, secretary; and Mrs. Raymond Shanks, home economics instructor and sponsor.
FORTY YEARS AGO
April 30, 1970
* Samuel J. "Buddy" Evans, a former art instructor at Monett High School, has accepted the position of art instructor for intermediate school at Neosho. Evans, son of Mr. and Mrs. Cornell Evans, of Monett, did graduate work at the University of Kentucky and at Kansas State College in Pittsburg.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
April 30, 1980
* Mrs. Joan Autry, of Route 2, Monett, has been employed by the Monett R-1 Board of Education to teach food service in the Monett Area Vocational School for the 1980-81 school year, Superintendent Dr. Ralph Scott has announced.
* Forty-fifth anniversary of the operation of Patton's Shoe Store, 415 E. Broadway, in Monett is being celebrated this month, according to announcement by the owners, Mrs. E.L. Patton and Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Patton Jr.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
April 30 1990
* The Public Service Commission has approved an agreement authorizing KPL Gas Service to increase annual natural gas revenues by approximately $18.5 million. At the same time, the commission approved various decreases in the company's cost of gas totaling approximately $35 million.
* Monett Middle School seventh grade boys and eighth grade girls won team titles at the annual Carthage Relays, with the Cub tracksters capturing nine individual first place titles and setting five meet records.
TEN YEARS AGO
April 30, 2000
* Crews from National Streetscape moved in to the next phase of construction on downtown renovation. Starting at Third Street, crews installed a new storm sewer running from Broadway south into Kelly Creek.
* Workers for the year 2000 federal Census Bureau will begin canvassing Barry County as early as next week.