EIGHTY YEARS AGO
April 22, 1930
* Malcolm Cox, an aged farmer residing two miles northwest of Monett, underwent a harrowing experience Saturday night. Two men rapped on his door and being invited in threatened Mr. Cox with a gun, bound and robbed him and searched his home. The old farmer worked for three hours before he was able to release himself.
* Mr. and Mrs. Preston Carter spent Easter in St. Louis with her parents, Mr and Mrs. J.S. Meicroth.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
April 22, 1940
* Sam Graber caught five baby wolves this morning of the O.P. Brite farm three miles northwest of Monett. This is the first report of wolves being found in this community for some time.
* President Tom Kennamer of the Frisco Employees Club was the guest speaker Saturday at the Ad Club meeting in the city hall.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
April 22, 1950
* Jeanne Ann Pilant, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Marion Pilant, is ill with measles.
* Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd Lee Higgins, of Springfield, will come this afternoon to visit over the weekend with the former's parents, Mr. and Mrs. James D. Higgins, 701 Seventh St.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
April 22, 1960
* Honorary chapter farmer degrees were awarded to Oliver Keeling, Leslie Henderson, Ora Purdom and E.J. Wendland by members of the Purdy Future Farmers at the Parent-Son banquet this week.
* The spring meeting of the Joplin District Woman's Society of Christian Service of the Methodist Church will be held Tuesday at the Monett First United Methodist Church.
FORTY YEARS AGO
April 22, 1970
* Marilyn Atteberry and Carolyn Atteberry, of Verona, have pre-registered for the baton twirling and cheerleader clinic to be held on campus at Washburn University in Topeka, Kan., June 2-5.
* The Monett High School senior presentation of "Father Knows Best" was enthusiastically received by a crowd of approximately 250 last night in the high school auditorium.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
April 22, 1980
* The five crew members of a 104-car Missouri Pacific freight train escaped injury when the last 14 cars left the tracks near the Highway 39 and P junction. The derailed cars were reduced to a scrambled mass of metal sprawled for several thousand feet.
* Members of the cast of the annual Monett High School play "Heaven Can Wait" transported their audience to a fantasy world which involved a "heavenly encounter.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
April 22, 1990
* Monett High School Concert Band concluded its competition for the season over the weekend at the Worlds of Fun contest in Kansas City, earning an Honor I rating that marked a season of effort that had been matched only one previous time in the last 18 years.
* Two of three Monett High School students competing at state finals Friday and Saturday at the Future Business Leaders of America leadership conference in Jefferson City placed in the top ten, with David Hull taking second in state.
TEN YEARS AGO
April 22, 2000
* New South Ward Alderman Lloyd Airrington and incumbent North Ward Alderman DeDe Hutson took the oath of office at last Thursday's meeting of the Verona City Council.
* A $504,000 loan has been approved through the Rural Development program for the proposed Smart Start Day Care Center in Monett.