|EIGHTY YEARS AGO|
April 21, 1930
* Lois Bolton, pianist, will give her graduation recital at the high school this evening. She will be assisted by Miss Mary Helen Willhoite, contralto. Both are students at Monett Junior College.
* The dance at the Monett City Park Casino on Saturday night, given by the Junior Young Men's Club, was attended by about 70 couples.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
April 21, 1940
* Brooks Ham, of Verona, and Gail Knight, of Monett, were the winners of a blind bogey tournament held at the Monett Golf Course yesterday. Each carded a 73. The prize was divided by the players.
* Jackie Etherington, of Springfield, visited over the weekend with his father, G.W. Etherington, of Monett. Jackie, five years old, had a grand time on his visit and wanted to stay longer because he liked Monett.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
April 21, 1950
* A fall while skating this morning resulted in an injured neck for John Alfred White, nine-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. A.K. White.
* Mrs. J. Austin Wood will present her pupils in a piano recital Sunday afternoon in the music room of the First Methodist Church.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
April 21, 1960
* Ninety-nine seniors, one of the largest graduating classes in several years, are candidates for Monett High School graduation diplomas this year, according to Principal Wayne Wright.
* Eighth grade cheerleaders at Purdy Elementary School include Inez Erwin, Janice Terry, Carolyn Purdom and Joyce Davis.
FORTY YEARS AGO
April 21, 1970
* Visiting over the weekend in Danville, Ky., with Mr. and Mrs. Dean Sloan and family were his parents, Mr. and Mrs. C.C. Sloan of Monett.
* A $21,743 budget for the 1970-71 year was adopted and plans mapped for the annual membership drive at last night's meeting of the Monett Chamber of Commerce board of directors.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
April 21, 1980
* Steven C. Martin, a former Monettan and son of Mr. and Mrs. Bill Martin, of Monett, has been appointed a city sales manager for McLean Tucking Company in the Milwaukee, Wis., terminal area.
* Beginning tomorrow and continuing through Friday, all Monett Elementary School students will be undergoing a series of achievement tests with results of the testing procedures to be available to the parents around the first of next month, according to Mrs. Roberta Osterloh, principal.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
April 21, 1990
* Named as royalty at Purdy High School recently were Tracy Wallace and Jeff Scott, queen and king of their class; and Justin Hightower and Michele Little as prince and princess.
* Monett High School junior Amy Orr, daughter of Jim and Vicki Orr, represented Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 Monett American Legion recently at the third annual Missouri State Youth Government Day in Jefferson City.
TEN YEARS AGO
April 21, 2000
* Spirits were high at the Monett City Council meeting yesterday as swearing-in ceremonies were held and routine business was addressed. Retiring Commissioner Rex Lane wore a red corsage for the reception in his honor after three terms in office.
* "More Than Words" is the theme for the upcoming Pierce City High School prom. "I Will Remember You" is the theme of the prom at Verona High School.