EIGHTY YEARS AGO
April 8, 1930
* Four new business buildings at Fifth Street and Bond are being completed this week. T.W. Messick is the owner and announced that he will rent all four of them.
* Fred Marbut, of Springfield, who has been quite ill for several weeks, is able to be up.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
April 8, 1940
* "The Hill Between" will be presented next Tuesday evening by the Monett Junior College dramatics department under the direction of Mrs. J.B. Rogers. Cast in the major roles are Monte Bradford, Edith Howell, Myldred Mills, B.F. Bobb, Wilma Dunaway, Lawrence Taber and Harold Rinker.
* Pat Dinan, son of Mr. and Mrs. W.H. Dinan, of Monett, writes that he is aboard the USS Houston and taking part in the war maneuvers in the Pacific.
|SIXTY YEARS AGO|
April 8, 1950
* Smiling, husky Jerry Hinds, MHS junior, has been chosen by the Hobbs-Anderson American Legion Post 91 to represent Monett at Boys State, to be held in June at Kemper Military Academy in Boonville.
* Monett residents are greeting the census takers with their customary politeness and courtesy.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
April 8, 1960
* Almon Maus, local attorney, last night was selected as president of the Monett Board of Education for the coming year.
* Jim Julian, who coached the Monett Cubs to the Sweet 16 among Class L state basketball teams, has been named by the Monett Kiwanis Club as the recipient of the April "Citizen of the Month" award.
FORTY YEARS AGO
April 8, 1970
* A new radar unit for the Monett Police Department was received yesterday and is to be installed in one of the city police patrol cars within the next day or two.
* Pierce City voters yesterday re-elected Charles Heeter as mayor and J.Y. Gasche as city marshal while turning down a 30 cent per $100 valuation general fund levy, a 20 cent municipal bond levy, and approving a 20 cent levy for the park and library.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
April 8, 1980
* The first full-fledged spring storm of the season swept through the area last night and, though it left little evidence of its fury, provided a spectacular show with the full gamut of elements including heavy electrical activity, intense hail, torrential rainfall and high winds.
* A public grand opening at the recently opened Monett Area Youth Center at Fifth and Bond will be held Sunday with all interested residents invited to attend.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
April 8, 1990
* Three Monett High School students will advance to state competition in Jefferson City as a result of finishing either first or second at the District 5 Future Business Leaders of America conference. They are David Hull, Lori McClurg and Valerie Braden.
Announcement of the opening of Monett Family Manor, 310 E. Dairy, a residential facility for the ambulatory, is made by the owners, Matt and Cindy Hess.
TEN YEARS AGO
April 8, 2000
* Kevin Huffmaster and Mart Thompson were elected co-presidents of the Monett Youth Wrestling Club at the annual banquet held at the Monett South Park Casino.
* The second gathering of Civil War re-enactors in Cassville in two years was held at the city park grounds. A tent city was erected by the two sides, populated by navy blue wool uniforms for the North, and common clothes of farmers and working men for the South.