The Barry-Lawrence Regional Library Board of Trustees met this month and approved several bids at its March 11 meeting.
Board members reviewed bids to repair the parking lots at the Cassville and Mt. Vernon branch libraries. Library Director Jean Berg requested bids for this project after she was unable to get in contact with the bidder who submitted a $200 for the project that the board approved in February.
Cassville Sealing and Striping submitted a bid of $762.45 to repair cracks and seal the parking lot at the Cassville Library, and Mt. Vernon Pavers turned in a bid of $760 for the repair work at the Mt. Vernon Library. The board voted to accept both bids.
The paving companies also submitted estimates for complete asphalt sealing and striping for both parking lots, but the board agreed to limit the work to crack repair only.
The district received three bids for replacement of four photocopiers at Aurora, Mt. Vernon, Monett and Cassville. The bids were as follows: American Business Systems, $847 for each copier with a $225 annual maintanance agreement that includes up to 4,000 copies per quarter; and Office Concepts, $1,000 per machine; and Copy Products, Inc., $1,000 per machine.
The board voted to approve the purchase of four Lanier LD117 photocopiers plus the maintenance agreement from American Business Systems in Springfield. The funds to buy the copiers will come from 2010 Equalization dollars.
According to Berg, the library district has received $51,292.84 in 2010 Equalization funding. In addition to using the money to buy copiers, Berg is recommending that the funding be spent replacing carpet in the Mt. Vernon and Miller libraries with carpet squares, repairing and rebuilding desk drawers in the Monett and Aurora circulation desks, purchasing cameras for the circulation stations and computer desks where needed.
In other business, the board:
* Accepted the February financial report that showed tax receipts received to date totalled $1,186,389.80, which is $180,771.74 less than 2009 receipts due to the lower 15-cent tax levy.
* Heard that Heather Long, full-tme children's coordinator in Aurora, has resigned to accept a part-time position. Interviews to fill the position are underway.
* Received an update on the fiber optic installation project at Monett. According to Berg, Vaughn Construction completed the project on Feb. 17.
* Learned that the library district's matching fund total for the Gates Grant stands at $8,060. This money has come from non-governmental donations and grants. Just recently, the library district received a $2,500 grant from the Barry-Lawrence United Fund and $500 from the Mt. Vernon Area Community Foundation. In addition, the district is expecting to receive a $2,500 grant from the Monett Area Community Foundation and $5,000 from the Lawrence County Senior Citizens Services Fund. If these two grants are approved, it will not be necessary to spend tax dollars to match the Gates Grant in 2010.
* Approved policy changes pertaining to privacy relative to photographing library users for library cards registration purposes and to allow non-resident borrowers to request items on interlibrary loan from libraries outside the two-county area. The board also made a minor policy change in the district's collection development policy to make microfilm available at the Pierce City branch as well as the Aurora, Cassville, Monett and Mt. Vernon branches.
The next meeting of the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library Board was changed to April 15.