EIGHTY YEARS AGO
March 26, 1930
* Dan Macdonald and Amos Gurley, of Monett, motored to Sarcoxie yesterday to see the damage done by bank robbers.
* One of the prettiest social events of the early spring season was a dinner party at the Monett Park Casino, given by Mrs. H. Willoughby and Mrs. Tom McMillen.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 26, 1940
* Monett turned out en mass last night to see the Frisco's new streamlined train "The Firefly" as it parked here to change crews en route to Tulsa. A crowd estimated at nearly 1,000 saw the train and hundreds passed through the coaches to inspect the interior.
* The home of Mrs. E.E. Smith was the setting yesterday for one of the early spring parties when she and Mrs. C.F. Linthicum entertained members of the Monett Garden Club with a jonquil breakfast.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 26, 1950
* Leota Doss was elected president of Room 25, the biology class at Monett High School yesterday.
* Carl Lemings left Monday morning for Wichita, Kan., where he will visit today with his uncle, George Lemings.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 26, 1960
* Mrs. Hoze Terry was named the new president of the Purdy PTA at a meeting last night.
* Bill Daugherty of Daugherty Studio Studio was made an honorary member of Quill and Scroll, international journalism group, by members of the journalism class at Monett High School today.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 26, 1970
* Sinclair Rogers, Monett photographer, was awarded two blue ribbons and had two other pictures selected for exhibition at the 1970 Missouri Photographers Association Convention, held this week in Jefferson City.
* Expected to arrive in Monett this evening to spend the Easter weekend are Mr. and Mrs. Jim Adams and Angie of Tulsa, Okla., and Mrs. John Dameron, of Mariana, Ark., who will visit with Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Adams.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 26, 1980
* Plans for the 24-hour Dance Marathon, sponsored by the Wentworth Jaycees, are now complete with the event scheduled at the Pierce City Armory on Friday and continuing until Saturday evening, according to Roger Wagner, who is in charge of the project.
* Mrs. Christine Carver Moore, of Pineville, Ore., arrived in Pierce City last Wednesday for a visit with her uncle and aunt, Mr. and Mrs. Ray Carver and other relatives in the area.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 26, 1990
* Employees of St. Vincent's Hospital in Monett were honored recently for over 20 years of service to the community. They are Elsie Creed, Agnes Wood, Audrey Erickson, Edna Angyal, Alwilda Roetto, Sister Seraphine Kostelnik, Dolores Rosewicz and Sister Vivian Mitala.
* Amy Jane Harshbager, a resident of Purdy, has successfully completed the professional paralegal program offered by the nationally accredited School of Paralegal Studies of Southern Career institute, Boca Raton, Fla.
|TEN YEARS AGO|
March 26, 2000
* More money than ever before has been generated for the City of Monett by its sales taxes, as seen in the March distribution from the Missouri Department of Revenue. Monett's seven-eighths of a cent tax for the general fund generated $170,472.87.
* After more than a year of trying to figure out what to do with a growing sinkhole in its site, E.F. March Engineering has decided to move from Monett to Mt. Vernon.