EIGHTY YEARS AGO
March 25, 1930
* Mr. and Mrs. Harold Spain moved from 701 Fourth St. in Monett to 522 W., Webster in Springfield. Spain, a Frisco switchman, was transferred to that place.
* C.E. Vance, of Pierce City, manager of the Monett Mill and Elevator Company, was taken ill with heart trouble while at work and is reported in a serious condition.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 25, 1940
* An enthusiastic group of about 40 boys and several men attended a meeting in the city hall to make plans for junior league baseball in Monett this summer.
* Monett firemen were called to the W.M. Pitts residence, 1110 Central, yesterday afternoon to extinguish a blaze in walls of the house there. The fire apparently caught from the flue, according to Chief Planchon.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 25, 1950
* Sarcoxie will no longer be embarrassed by strangers who drive by on Highway 166 to Highway 37 looking for the town only to pass it by. Orders have been placed on the highways so none will fail to see Sarcoxie is still here.
* Mr. And Mrs. M.E. Gillioz returned Sunday morning from a week's delightful visit in the home of her son-in-law and daughter, Mr. and Mrs. A.A. Speer and Helen Gene.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 25, 1960
* Plans for enlarging St. Vincent's Hospital in Monett by adding a new 40-bed wing took a giant step forward this week when it was announced that $225,000 in federal funds were available for the project.
* Tenth anniversary of the Huffman-Taylor Fashion Center in Monett is currently being observed by Mrs. Gladys Huffman and Miss Edna Taylor.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 25, 1970
* Mr. and Mrs. Doyle McCubbin left early this morning for Oklahoma City, Okla., to be with their son, Mike, who was scheduled to undergo major surgery there.
* Arriving this evening from their home in Kansas City were Mr. and Mrs. Gerry Reynaud, who will visit over the weekend in Monett with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Milton Reynaud, and in Springfield with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Afton C. Bridges.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 25, 1980
* Public education in the 1980s, the problems, challenges and solutions, was the theme of the address by Dr. Ralph Scott, Monett superintendent of schools, at yesterday's meeting of the Monett Kiwanis Club at Lakeland Restaurant.
* A proclamation designating tomorrow through Sunday as Kidney Week in Monett has been signed by Monett Mayor Harrell C. Hall. Volunteers will be distributing donor cards and information on kidney disease door-to-door,
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 25, 1990
* A black bear cub, found abandoned at a Cassville parking lot early last Wednesday morning, has been taken to Dickerson Park Zoo in Springfield.
* Ribbon-cutting ceremonies marking the completion of a 1,200 square foot expansion to D.B. Graphics in Monett were conducted recently by the Monett Chamber of Commerce Ambassadors.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 25, 2000
* E.C. Barton and Company of Jonesboro, Ark., will soon assume the operations of the Monett and Mt. Vernon TapJac Do-It Best Lumber businesses.
* Construction is continuing on Chapell Drive, south of Highway 60, where the Monett Street Department is widening the road with $108,000 brought in through Monett's tax increment financing program.