EIGHTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1930
* Miss Mattie Lautaret, Mrs. Mildred Newman, Tilman Lautaret and Bob Holland visited in Springfield on Sunday.
Miss Mildred Counts, of Ash Grove, spent Sunday with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Counts.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1930
* Howard McCormick is reported to be still in critical condition in a Springfield hospital following an appendicitis operation. He is the son of Mrs. Roy Allen.
* Mrs. Matt Butler, Mrs. Harold Butler and Betty Bee, of Stockton, visited the last of the week with friends in Monett.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1950
* More than 300 persons attended the Frisco safety rally in one of the largest and most successful meetings of the kind ever held in Monett.
* The Monett Junior College presented assemblies in Cassville and Seligman on Thursday. The purpose of the assemblies was to acquaint high school students in the section of the state with the offerings of the college.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1960
* At a special meeting of the Monett City Council this afternoon, an ordinance was passed to increase the salary of the mayor of Monett from $100 to $150 a month. The new salary, which will be equal to that of the two city commissioners, will go into effect as soon as the new city council to be elected April 5 goes into office.
* By winning 11 of 12 league games, the Exeter Grade School Tigers captured the Tri-County Grade School League basketball championship.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 24, 1970
* Mrs. Pamela Wendler Schoen, of Monett, has joined the staff of Mildred's Beauty Shop, according to owner Mrs. Mildred Mayfield.
* Sinclair Rogers, of Monett, is attending the 1970 Missouri Photographers Association Convention in Jefferson City, which concludes a three-day session today.
|THIRTY YEARS AGO|
March 24, 1980
* A Monett man who was serving two five-year sentences concurrently at Renz prison farm near Jefferson City escaped Saturday, according to reports received by Monett Police Chief Wesley Thomas.
* City of Monett agencies and public facilities will be joining with other communities throughout the state in the sixth annual Statewide Tornado Exercise scheduled for 10:15 a.m. Wednesday, and will be putting into effect planned procedures for tornado alerts to test their effectiveness.
|TWENTY YEARS AGO|
March 24, 1990
* Marilyn Heagerty of the investment firm of Edward D. Jones and Company in Monett has been named branch office administrator for the firm's Monett office, according to local representative Jim Wheeler.
* Dr. Erich Helge, headmaster of St. Paul's Lutheran High School in Concordia, will be the guest speaker Sunday at St. John's Lutheran Church in Monett as the church observes its annual Spring Mission Festival.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 24, 2000
* Few overall changes are seen in the operating costs for the various departments in the City of Monett, under the spending outline for the coming fiscal year that was unveiled this past week. No new hirings were scheduled though a new pay scale for police officers was approved.
* The Monett R-1 School District has been named one of six districts to participate in the expansion of the "enhancing Missouri's Instructional Networked Teaching Strategies" (eMINTS) program.