|EIGHTY YEARS AGO|
March 17, 1930
* Mrs. F. P. Sizer Sr. returned home Saturday night from Weslaco, Tex., where she visited her daughter, Mrs. William E. Rogers and family.
* William Henry, of Kansas City, came in Sunday morning to look after his property. The Henry family will move back to Monett in the near future.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 17, 1940
* Work is progressing nicely on the remodeling of the duplex bungalow at 403 Fourth St., owned by Mrs. Mary Courdin.
* Miss Mary Belle Hall was hostess to members of the Little Light Bearers group Saturday afternoon at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. V.B. Hall.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 17, 1950
* The Missouri Junior Chamber of Commerce organization is going to back Floyd Stewart, Monett High School teacher and national vice president of the Jaycees, for national president.
* Grover C. Fulton, Monett postmaster, will be dismissed from Barnes Hospital in St. Louis on Saturday and will be brought home.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 17, 1960
* Extensive remodeling of the new addition of the First National Bank in Monett in underway with two suites of office rooms to be included on the second floor which formerly housed the Davis Hardware Company.
* Sharon McRoberts, of Verona, was elected Ninth District Worship Chairman at the World Youth Conference of the Christian Youth Fellowship held in Lebanon last weekend.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 17, 1970
* Roger Erwin Fritz, Monett High School senior, arrived home Saturday from washington, D.C., where he participated in a Presidential Classroom for Young Americans.
* Confirmation will be held Sunday at Trinity Lutheran Church in Freistatt for 20 candidates. They are Mary Holle, Eloise Brocksmidt, Jane Langer, Janie Helmkamp, Kay Kaiser, Cindy Osterloh, Barbara Holle, Kathy Holle, Patsy Kreuger, Terry Nelson, Becky, Osterloh, Glenn Obermann, Roy Obermann, Steve Doss, Robbie Nelson, Garry Moennig, Dennis Stellwagen, Kevin Davis and Nolan Kleiboeker.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 17, 1980
* Monett Rural and City Fire Departments and Monett Police Department had a busy weekend which included the investigation of an attempted car arson, a lightning fire, a flue fire and several grass fires.
* Monett's Danny Lynch, head coach of the varsity Cubs cagers, has been named boys Coach of the Year in All-District balloting.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 17, 1990
* Dr. Jack Cooper has bee nre-elected to his second term as president of the Pierce City Chamber of Commerce. Allan Denny was elected vice president. Loretta Mettlach was re-elected secretary and Diana Preston was named treasurer.
* A spring concert featuring well-known area gospel singer Sally Richards will be held Tuesday at the First Baptist Church in Monett, sponsored by the Victory Class at the church.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 17, 2000
* The Monett Planning and Zoning Commission approved plans yesterday for the Ridgemont Meadows and Timber Creek subdivisions, both proposed by developer Rick Beard.
* Kevin Wodlinger has been named president of the Monett Chamber of Commerce for the 2000-01 business year. Ted Dorton was named as president-elect.