EIGHTY YEARS AGO
March 12, 1930
* Mrs. Alice Gerhard will go to Joplin tonight to attend a fashion show presented by the Business and Professional Women's Club.
* The Ozark Gas Company is piping gas to houses on Sixth and Seventh streets.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 12, 1940
* Mrs. H.E. Carrithers and Mrs. Ernie Boucher have returned from Houston, Tex., where they went last week taking Mrs. Carrithers' daughter, Mrs. Charley Bartley, who joined her husband in their new residence there.
* The Leader Department Store will have its formal opening Saturday in the Gardner Building, recently occupied by Kroger's. Dean Neimeyer, who has worked for W.H. Roberts and his son, R.H. Roberts, in a department store at Pierce City for the last 10 years, will manage the Monett store.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 12, 1950
* The coldest temperature recorded overnight was 15 degrees at six o'clock this morning, four degrees colder than yesterday's low.
* The Red Cross drive for funds has passed the $2,000 mark and with the industrial plants still not reported, hope is that the $2,800 quota for North Barry County soon will be obtained.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 12, 1960
* About four inches of snow fell in the Monett area early this morning until noon and nearly that much more is expected before the current storm leaves the area.
* Mr. and Mrs. Doyle McCubbin, Mike and Rebecca, spent the weekend in Kansas City where they were guests of their daughter and family, Mr. and Mrs. William Witt and little daughter, Gail.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 12, 1970
* Miss Carolyn Phillips, of Monett, a student at Southwest Missouri State College in Springfield, is teaching business at Greenwood High School in Springfield for the spring semester as her student teaching assignment.
* Miss Caryl Edwards, daughter of Dr. and Mrs. F.L. Edwards, of Monett, has been selected for the part of Sister Helena in the University of Kansas production of "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie." The play opens tonight in the university theatre.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 12, 1980
* First grade students at Monett Elementary School participated in "Play Hospital Days" at St. Vincent's Hospital in Monett yesterday and today. Members of the hospital staff explained and demonstrated procedures that might be necessary if and when any of the youngsters might have to enter the hospital as a patient.
* Monett High School speech students will be challenging students from throughout the Big 12 Conference for top ranking positions in individual events and debate at this weekend's conference tournament.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 12, 1990
* Hired as manager of the Pierce City Municipal Swimming Pool for the 1990 summer season was Betty Smith, a teacher in the elementary school with pay set by the city council of Pierce City at $150 weekly.
* Hubert Sanders, of Monett, was recently honored for 40 years of service with the Missouri Division of Employment Security in a ceremony held in Jefferson City.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 12, 2000
* The city council in Pierce City decided to buy a second fire truck and explore financing the $130,000 purchase with bonds.
* The latest unemployment rates showed 3.4 percent joblessness in Barry County and 2.9 percent in Lawrence County.