EIGHTY YEARS AGO
March 11, 1930
* Mrs. C.N. Main, who has been at St. John's Hospital in Springfield for two weeks, underwent an operation for goiter this morning.
* Miss Ardena Bradley, who was taken to St. Luke's Hospital, in St. Louis, for treatment of a foot, broke out with measles and was removed to an isolation hospital where she will remain for 10 days.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
March 11, 1940
* Construction work on the Monett sale barn is scheduled to begin this weekend, officials of the corporation said today.
* Eddie Linebarger underwent an emergency appendectomy last evening in a Springfield hospital. His mother, Mrs. Otto F. Linebarger, is at the hospital with him.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
March 11, 1950
* Word has been received that Grover C. Fulton, Monett's postmaster, would be dismissed from Barnes Hospital in St. Louis in another week and would return home immediately.
* Mrs. Mildred Honts, employed in Kansas City, spent the weekend here with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Nothern, and her son, Jackie.
* Miss Billie Gene Powell, who is attending school at Draughon's Business College, in Tulsa, Okla., spent the weekend with her parents.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
March 11, 1960
* An early morning fire today inflicted heavy damage to the new Wheaton grade school building.
* Cadet Don Meirick left Wednesday for New Orleans, La., where he was to receive his assignment for six months sea duty with the Merchant Marines.
FORTY YEARS AGO
March 11, 1970
* Monett area residents were greeted with a six-inch snow this morning.
* Visiting in Monett with Mr. and Mrs. Alvis L. Woolsey is Mrs. Woolsey's sister, Mrs. Ralph Welch, of Reno, Nev.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
March 11, 1980
* Outstanding senior members of the Monett High School Cubs basketball and wrestling teams were honored at least night's meeting of the Monett Quarterback Club, with Brad Grant named for the Delbert Butterworth Basketball Award, and Davis St. Louis selected for the Burl Fowler Wrestler Award.
* Bill Meeks has rejoined the Monett Police Department as a patrolman and assumed his duties yesterday, according to Police Chief Wesley Thomas.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
March 11, 1990
* Latest construction project at Tyson Foods facility in Monett got underway. Work crews are installing an extended roof over the plant's main live unloading dock to provide a bigger area for trucks and better working conditions in inclement weather.
* Monett Middle School choir members selected to participate in the All-District Honor Choir are Melissa Freiburger, Cari Clapper, Therese Montellano, Anna Scott, Nick Kurucz, Justin Lanning, Bill Long, Natalie Hall and Christina Zahn.
TEN YEARS AGO
March 11, 2000
* Preparations are continuing for a $5.3 million renovation and expansion at Cox Monett Hospital that will bring back the baby delivery program and position the facility to manage more service, employ more workers and become a central hub for medical care between the medical centers in Springfield and Joplin.
* Two new subdivisions proposed by contractor Rick Beard will be discussed at a meeting of the Monett Planning and Zoning Commission on Thursday.