Monett will be sending three grapplers to the state Class 2 meet this weekend following a ninth place team finish in the District Tournament held at Monett this past Friday and Saturday.
Ethan Davis improved his unblemished season record to 41-0, capturing the individual district championship in the 140-pound weight class.
Davis advanced to the district championship round by defeating Alex Berger, of Osage, 19-1, in the quarterfinals and then downing Andrew Watson, of Pleasant Ridge, by injury default in the semis. In the finals, Davis bested Tyler White, of Reeds Spring, 18-5.
In the 171 weight division, Monett's Matt Schiffner placed third and earned the right to compete at state. His record for the season is now 23-12.
To advance to the third place match, Schiffner first defeated Tyler Ketchum, of Odessa, 2:42, and then defeated Derek Hill, of Reeds Spring, 12-2 in the quarterfinals. Schiffner lost to Tanner Harris, of Buffalo, 1:16, in the semi-finals and defeated Preston Jones, of Logan Rogersville, 3:53, in the consolation semi-finals. In the third place match, Schiffner defeated Danny Hill, of Clinton, :27.
Chris Renteria, at 125 pounds, finished fourth at the district meet and will head to state with a 33-9 record.
In the quarterfinals, Renteria defeated Jason Abenathy, of Clinton, :59, and then lost in the semifinals to Boe Randle, 3:26. Renteria defeated Dominick Habjan, of Nevada, 9-2, in the consolation semi-finals before falling to Jake Martin, of Grain Valley, 2:24, in the consolation final.
"Overall the tournament was bitter sweet," said Coach Daryl Bradley. "I was hoping to get at least four in the state tournament. I thought we wrestled well at times, but we didn't get the job done when we needed some wins.
"I was encouraged by the way that the inexperienced kids battled," added Coach Bradley.
Other Monett results from the district tournament are as follows:
* Levi Neely, 103 pounds:
first round loss to Slade Stiles (Nevada 2:58); second round consolation win defeating Logan Whiting (Harrisonville 11-0); third round consolation loss to Joe Godsey (Reeds Spring :38). Neely finished the year at 16-15.
* Nicky Roberts, 112 pounds: quarterfinals loss to Jared Lightfoot (Pleasant Hill 3:04); second round consolation, pinned Cheyanne Hitchcock (Buffalo 2:22); third round wrestleback, defeated Travis Barry (Osage 8-3); consolation semifinals loss to Ty Balty (Logan Rogersville 1:34). Roberts finished the year at 22-16.
* Juan Renteria, 130 pounds: quarterfinals loss to Joe Hunter (Harrisonville 23-8); consolation third round, defeated Dalton Shunkwiller (Nevada 16-0); consolation semifinal loss to Blake Peek (Odessa 15-6). Renteria finished the year at 21-19.
* Carter Huffmaster, 135 pounds: first round loss to Brigham West (Pleasant Hill 9-1); second round loss to Jeremiah Robinson (Marshfield 1:32); semifinals, lost to Josh Thompson (Odessa 2:42); consolation semifinal, lost to Sostes Infante (Carl Junction 4:09). Huffmaster finished the year at 24-17.
* Marcus Enloe, 145 pounds: first round loss to Trenton Landes (Carl Junction 6-5); second round consolation loss to Sam Golden (Osage 6-2). Enloe finished the year at 20-15.
* Kurran Blamey, 152 pounds: first round lost to Joe Holland (Harrisonville 1:29); second round consolation loss to Jarred Harrill (Bolivar 2:35). Blamey finished the year at 8-21.
"I am very excited about the state tournament and next year," said Coach Bradley. "We only lose one senior, and I expect everyone back so that is a good sign that we are headed in the right direction for next year."