EIGHTY YEARS AGO
February 11, 1930
* Mesdames T.E. Hastings, Emory Smith, M.A. Terry, Gleason Bowen and Harold Morrow entertained with a covered dish luncheon Friday at the home of Mrs. A.B. Sherwood and W.R. Boyd, of Springfield.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
February 11, 1940
* Mrs. Alma Ferguson, who entered Burge Hospital in Springfield last week, will undergo a major operation Tuesday.
* A deal has been closed whereby the Christian Church becomes the owner of the house immediately south of the church. The house will be used for a parsonage.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
February 11, 1950
* The Frisco will inaugurate central control in the near future affecting the system from Tulsa, Okla., to Monett.
* C.E. Roderick plans to return to work Monday at the Gulf Refining Company plant after having been off for the past six weeks because of a severe sprain and dislocation of his ankle.
|FIFTY YEARS AGO|
February 11, 1960
* Plans for a parking lot for First National Bank patrons on the present site of the Western Auto Store at 210 Fourth Street were announced today by W. Vance Davis, president, along with plans to expand the bank building.
* Heart and blood vessel diseases claimed more lives in Barry County during the past year, 127, than all other causes of death combined, according to Roselen Cohnberg, president of the Monett Heart Association.
FORTY YEARS AGO
February 11, 1970
* Monett firemen were called to the Henry Bowman home, 1537 N. Fourth St., today when a wood stove in a garage became overheated and threatened to set the structure on fire. Little damage was reported.
* Oren Moss, of Monett, was elected to the board of directors of Ozark Empire Distributors Inc. at the stockholders meeting held Sunday in Rogers, Ark.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
February 11, 1980
* Barry County residents have contributed $2,847 to the American Lung Association of Western Missouri's Christmas Seal Campaign. This amount represents 82.3 percent of last year's contributions from county residents, according to L.G. Jones, of Monett, who is in charge of this year's campaign.
* Lori Sanders, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Sanders, of Monett, was accompanied to Oklahoma State Technical College at Okmulgee, Okla., by her parents in Feb. 3. Miss Sanders began her studies in commercial arts on Feb. 4 after graduating from Monett High School at mid-term.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
February 11, 1990
* Catalogue of the plant and animal wildlife at the Monett Elementary School Outdoor Classroom was recently completed by Andrew Zahn, of Monett, as his Eagle Scout project. He is a senior at Monett High School.
* Re-elected to three-year terms on the board of directors of the Monett Housing Authority last night were David Doennig and Ron Wormington. Officers re-elected were Harrell Hall, president; Carl Bradford, vice president; Dayton Mackey, secretary; and Doennig, treasurer.
TEN YEARS AGO
February 11, 2000
* Jerry James joined Mary K. Scott as co-presidents of Loaves and Fishes for the coming year.
* Over $6,500 was raised for the Muscular Dystrophy Association at the MDA Lock-Up held Tuesday at Ernie's Grill in Monett.