EIGHTY YEARS AGO
February 5, 1930
* Mrs. Hulda Reeves has returned from Chicago wherer she spent several months.
* H.H. Edwards went to Purdy Wednesday to attend the funeral of his uncle, Marion Roller, which was being held at the Arnhart Church.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
February 5, 1940
* What appears to be a new record in the Junior College was establsihed by Leland Biermann, according to Dean Howard E. McEachen. When grades came in for the first semester, it was discovered that Leland had earned E's in every subject.
* Thirteen players have signed contracts witht eh Monett Red Birds baseball club farm for the Springfield Cardinals, including eight pitchers, one catcher, one infielder and three outfielders.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
February 5, 1950
* There's a panther on the prowl int he Bethel-Easyville-Macedonia area southeast of Monett and it has the citizens of that rural area up in arms----real firearms. Some say it's a panther. Others declare it's a wildcat, but all are agreed that a "varmint is on the loose."
* Another warm weather spell arrived and the temperature was expected to reach near 70 this afternoon with a low of 60 tonight.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
February 5, 1960
* Monett High School students elected Carol Crossland, a senior, and David Tucker, a junior, as the 1960 courtesy queen and king at Monett High School.
* A huge crowd of some 450 persons attended the aeventh annual Monett Kiwanis Club Sports Night program at the Monett Park Casino last night.
FORTY YEARS AGO
February 5, 1970
* John E. Savage, of Monett, was extended a license to preach in the Methodist Church by the District Board of Ministries at the annual district conference, held Monday night.
* Mrs. Evelyn Morris and Mrs. Nadine Liptrap, of El Monte, Calif., are enjoying a visit in Monett with their mother, Mrs. Thel Long, and their brother, Bob Long.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
February 5, 1980
* Jerry Sebastian, David Hutchens, Mike Flowers and David Doennig have been appointed to the Monett Airport Board for four year terms. Tom Clark and Bill Mitchell were reappointed.
* A proposal regarding the current district playoff plan for high school football, asking that the schools in Missouri be divided into five football classes instead of the present four classes, was made Saturday in Columbia by two principals representing the Big 12 High School Conference, David Sippy, of Monett, and Jerry Layman, of Carl Junction.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
February 5, 1990
* Monett High School junior Tish Michelle Baumann has been accepted as a state finalist in the 1990 Miss Missouri U.S. Teen Pageant, with will compete against other teenage girls for the right to advance to national competition in the Missouri pageant in St. Louis.
* Ribbon Cutting ceremonies for Caviness and Company, P.C. were recently held by the Monett Chamber of Commerce Ambassadors.
TEN YEARS AGO
February 5, 2000
* Pierce City homecoming queen Katrina Doss watched the Eagles lose 60-58 in basketball action against Miller.
* Vying for the crown of Mister Tip-Off at Purdy High School are junior Dustin Weiser, seniors Shawn Jurgensen and Aaron Williams, sophomore Coby Utter and freshman Brandon Carlo.