EIGHTY YEARS AGO
January 28, 1930
* Mrs. Ethel Titus, of Monett, is visiting her parents in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, this week.
* The farmers in the vicinity of Miller planned to stage a big wolf hunt this week as the wolves have been preying on their stock.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
January 28, 1940
* Members of the Recondite Pep Club in Monett were entertained by Juana Biggerstaff and Kathleen Roberts at a chili supper on Tuesday.
* Coach Gail Knight's Monett Cubs prevailed in yet another basketball game last night.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
January 28, 1960
* Joyce Kenney, a Monett High School senior and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Kenney, was named Rose Queen for 1960
* Officers of the Future Teachers of America at Monett High School include Vikki Haddock, Jean McCaffrey, Sally Shelton, Margaret Sullivan, Ruby Klingsporn, Marilyn Shanks, Karen Mitchell and Joann Wells.
FORTY YEARS AGO
January 28, 1970
* A.S. Carlin of Monett has filed on the Republican ticket as a candidate for re-election as northern district judge of the Barry County Court.
* A decrease in taxes for Lawrence County property owners of six cents per $100 valuation has been announced by Presiding Judge Loyd Ellis.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
January 28, 1980
* Monett Fire Department was called to Sonic Drive-in last night when wiring in the electrical meter ignited. Little damage was reported.
* Personalized license plates are now available for trucks at the Monett License Office, 705 East Broadway.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
January 28, 1990
* The nomination of Andrew Zahn, a senior at Monett High School, to the U.S. Air Force Academy has been announced by Senator Christopher Bond.
* Joni Rice, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Rice of Purdy, has completed the first level of training as a registered nurse at St. John's School of Nursing in Springfield.
TEN YEARS AGO
January 28, 2000
* Larry Ferguson, former plant manager at Schreiber Foods in Monett, has been named president and chief executive officer of the company headquartered in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
* Joe Layton, superintendent of schools at Purdy, has been re-hired for the 2000-2001 school year.