SEVENTY YEARS AGO
January 29, 1940
* W.C. Hazell won first prize in the photograph contest sponsored by the Monett Camera Club last night.
* Willard Stoops, 175-pound fighter, won the Golden Gloves light-heavyweight title at Joplin last night by knock out in the first round.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
January 29, 1950
* William Pinnell, young Monett attorney, has announced he will seek the Barry County Republican nomination for prosecuting attorney.
* Wildred Fritz, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arno Fritz, of Route 1, Monett, is completing his last year at Valparaiso University in Indiana.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
January 29, 1960
* Twelve members of Monett Cub Scout Pack 140 received awards from Cubmaster Dick Caine at last night's monthly meeting.
* A new community parking lot will be opened soon, located around the area of old Central School, Second Street and Bond.
FORTY YEARS AGO
January 29, 1970
* Connie Bradley, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David Bradley, has been named Homemaker of Tomorrow at Monett High School.
* Virus illnesses, while not of epidemic proportions, have resulted in high absenteeism at Monett Elementary School and Monett Junior High School.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
January 29, 1980
* Monett Fire Department was called to the Clifford Banks home, 530 West Myrtle, today to extinguish a flu fire.
* Dillard Mallory, retired superintendent of the Buffalo school system and former superintendent at Verona, has received the Southwest District School Administrators Association Award.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
January 29, 1990
* Glen Garrett was re-elected last night as chairman of the First State Bank of Purdy board of directors.
* Residents at the Missouri Veterans Home in Mt. Vernon will be paying more for their stay as a result of an audit that has showed the facility is losing money due to inadequate management practices.
TEN YEARS AGO
January 29, 2000
* Retirement of Mamie L. Lane as vice president of UMB Bank of Monett has been announced.
* One to three inches of snow is forecast for the Monett area tonight and tomorrow, but temperatures are supposed to rise on Monday.