SEVENTY YEARS AGO
January 8, 1940
* A.G. Mayer, of Monett, will leave today for Kansas City where he will visit his brothers, Herbert and Edward.
* Elsie Weaver, who underwent surgery 10 days ago at the Stone Memorial Hospital in Carthage, is expected to return to Monett today or tomorrow.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
January 8, 1950
* Everett Young, mechanic, has been employed by the Friend Motor Company in Monett as shop foreman.
* C. Ray Power has been named manager of the Gillioz Motor and Implement Company in Monett, replacing Bryan Hawkins.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
January 8, 1960
* Members of the Pierce City Boy Scout Troop 170, sponsored by St. Mary's Catholic Church, have mailed special parcels to an orphanage in Korea.
* Mr. and Mrs. Leroy Pruitt, of Pierce City, have returned home after attending the Southern Baptist Training Union Convention in Atlanta, Georgia.
FORTY YEARS AGO
January 8, 1970
* The Barry County chapter of the Easter Seal Society for Crippled Children and Adults have joined in an immunization campaign to stop the German measles.
* Survey crew from the state highway department will be at work soon to determine a proposed crossing over Flat Creek for a re-location of a portion of Route C in Barry County near McDowell.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
January 8, 1980
* Larry Garrett, of Monett, has been hired as a regular fireman trainee with the Monett Fire Department, according to Fire Chief Jim Nolan.
* Robert Owens has been installed as president of the Lakes Country Search and Rescue Squad at a meeting held last night at the group's headquarters on Marshall Hill in Monett.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
January 8, 1990
* Members of this year's Monett wrestling chanters cheering squad are Aimee LeCompte, Rachel Gripka, Shelby Deines and LeaAnne DeRigne.
* The Zone 6 office of the Missouri State Highway Patrol, serving Barry and Lawrence counties, has moved from the city hall in Aurora to the city hall in Mt. Vernon.
TEN YEARS AGO
January 8, 2000
* Because many property owners outside the city limits of Monett have not joined the Monett Rural Fire Association or have let memberships lapse, the board of directors of the fire association are urging the property owners to join for their own protection.
* A baby girl, daughter of Raven Thornton and James Ray, of Monett, has been named winner of the First Baby of the Year Contest.