The Monett Times is sponsoring the First Baby of the Year Contest to usher in 2010. For the 67th consecutive year, The Times will honor the first baby of the year born at Cox Monett Hospital with prizes.
The first baby born after midnight, Dec. 31, will be declared the winner by the hospital.
Parents of the winner can pick up a letter of authorization at The Times office at 505 E. Broadway. Gifts will be presented at the businesses sponsoring the contest.
The first baby of 2009 was Benjamin Rylie Corn, son of Jason and Rebecca Corn, of Seligman. He arrived at 4:22 a.m. on New Year's Day.
Benjamin gave boys victory in the contest two years in a row after girls had won in four out of five years. Boys continue to lead the contest 35-31.
Area businesses offering prizes to the winning family include:
* $50 gift certificate from UMB Bank;
* Infant seat, bouquet of flowers and a gift shop item from Cox Monett Hospital;
* One large pizza from Gambino's Pizza;
* $50 savings bond from Community National Bank;
* $25 gift certificate from Sunrise Family Restaurant;
* A Crabtree and Evelyn gift set from Bruner Pharmacy;
* Free muffuletta sandwich from The Bayou restaurant;
* $25 gift card from Buchanan Funeral Home;
* $20 gift certificate from The Trunk;
* $25 gift certificate from Kay's Floral;
* Two free sandwiches and two free drinks from Mocha Jo's Coffee Cafe;
* 25 birth announcements and a kids package of photos from Connie's Photography;
* $20 gift certificate from Grant's Restaurant;
* Three-month subscription to The Monett Times.