SEVENTY YEARS AGO
December 31, 1939
* Mr. and Mrs. Troy Hull, of Monett, entertained all of their children over the holidays.
* Mrs. Clyde Combes and Peggy, Mrs. Carrie White and O.D. Shaddox, all of Monett, visited in Joplin today.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
December 31, 1949
* Dr. Phillip Pierce, chiropractor, will open offices next week at 410 1/2 East Broadway in Monett and plans to have an open house on Monday.
* Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Withers left Monday for their home in Alberta, Canada, after visiting Mrs. Withers' sisters, Mrs. Oliver Anderson and Mrs. Clyde Seward, in Monett.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
December 31, 1959
* Rev. Loren Laeger, who has been pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Monett since 1956, left for Pryor, Oklahoma, today where he has accepted a similar pastorate.
* Visiting in Monett over the holidays was A-3c Gilbert Peters, who is stationed at Vance Air Force Base in Enid, Oklahoma.
FORTY YEARS AGO
December 31, 1969
* A four-inch snowfall, which followed freezing rain and sleet, blanketed the Monett area today.
* Robert Koenig, a sophomore at Monett High School, showed his best pigeon during the Kansas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri Pigeon and Bantam Show in Neosho on Saturday.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
December 31, 1979
* David Tatum, chief of police in Aurora and former Monett police officer, has announced he will file as a candidate for the office of Lawrence County sheriff.
* Dedication service for a new steeple and bell at Christ United Methodist Church in Monett will be held Sunday.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
December 31, 1989
* Snyder Construction Company of Joplin yesterday poured concrete for the floor of the newly expanded Dairy Street bridge in Monett.
* Lighting of the Centennial Overpass, the first of the Monett Jaycees to the "City of Lights" program, has been declared a success with 156 families and individuals remembered in dedications.
TEN YEARS AGO
December 31, 1999
* Barry County WIC (Women, Infants and Children) program will soon be expanding services by adding a satellite WIC clinic each month at the Monett Community Building on County Road.
* Construction is on schedule for the new 18,000 square foot office complex at Miracle Recreation Equipment in Monett.