EIGHTY YEARS AGO
December 23, 1929
* Money and merchandise were taken on Friday night by robbers who entered the Gurley Brothers Store in Purdy.
* Mr. and Mrs. J.F. Spilman, of Wentworth, and Charlene Oliver, of Joplin, will spend Christmas with Mr. and Mrs. H.P.S. Burke, in Monett.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
December 23, 1939
* Monett's new and enlarged Kroger Store has completed plans for its grand opening on Saturday.
* Mr. and Mrs. Donald Pray hosted a supper dance last Saturday for their daughter, Peggy, on his 16th birthday.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
December 23, 1949
* Monett escaped a terrific wind storm that struck Springfield with a record smashing blast that reached 80 miles an hour.
* Arch Biggerstaff, of Monett, was elected president of the Barry County Shrine Club at its meeting on Tuesday.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
December 23, 1959
* Verona High School has completed the organization of the first student council in the history of the school with Donna Terry, a senior, elected the first president.
* Several instances of light bulbs being stolen from outdoor Christmas decorations in Monett have been reported to police.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
December 23, 1979
* Dr. Ralph Scott, superintendent of schools at Monett, has been nominated for a position with the Missouri Association of School Administrators and Certification Advisory Committee.
* Jim Arnaud was elected president of the board of directors of the Monett Rural Fire Association at the reorganizational meeting held last night.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
December 23, 1989
* Jason Van Eaton, a senior at Monett High School, has been selected by a local scholarship committee for the Century Three Leaders Scholarship Program.
* Martha Marquardt, a member of Senior Girl Scout Troop 431 of Purdy, recently received the Girl Scout Golf Award, a national honor of achievement in Scouting.
TEN YEARS AGO
December 23, 1999
* Mike and Carolyn Flummerfelt, of Pierce City, were honored as grand marshals of this year's Pierce City Christmas parade.
* Gary Koenig and John Ellis each had 10 points to lead Monett to a 60-56 win over Marionville to hand the Comets their first basketball loss of the year.