SEVENTY YEARS AGO
December 17, 1939
* A $30,000 high school music and industrial arts building will be constructed in Mt. Vernon once final approval is received from the WPFA headquarters in Washington D.C.
* Headquarters battery moved into the new armory building in Monett yesterday and held its first regular drill in the new building last night.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
December 17, 1949
* Pupils at Central School in Monett will share their Christmas with others for the sixth straight year by providing baskets of food for those less fortunate than they.
* William Hankins, music director at Monett High School, and Monett Superintendent of Schools E.E. Camp will go to Jefferson City on Monday to examine musical instruments for use here.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
December 17, 1959
* Rev. Clifford Saunders, of Pierce City, was elected high priest of the St. Albans Chapter 113 of the Royal Arch Masons last night.
* Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 Monett American Legion continues to rank among the top five in the 32-post 15th District in membership, according to the Department Headquarters in Jefferson City.
FORTY YEARS AGO
December 17, 1969
* Mike Sweeney, a Monett High School senior, was the winner of the annual Barry County American Legion Oratorical Contest last night.
* Larry Mahan, grandson of Otto Mahan of Verona and nephew of Mr. and Mrs. Otto Pippin, of Monett, has won the All-Around Cowboy title for the fourth straight year.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
December 17, 1979
* The MHS Athletic Building was heavily damaged with nearly all sports equipment stored there reduced to molten masses in an early morning fire today.
* Approximately 35 area firemen will be participating tomorrow and Sunday in intensive examinations on material which has been presented at the Regional Firefighters Training Academy held in Monett.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
December 17, 1989
* A plaque recognizing EFCO Corporation as the winner of the Sponsor's Tournament held as part of the sixth annual Mercantile Bank Fall Golf Classic in Monett has been presented o Chris Fuldner, EFCO president.
* Eighth annual Christmas Bird Count will be conducted Saturday at Roaring River State Park near Cassville.
TEN YEARS AGO
December 17, 1999
* Influenza is a concern for most people at this time of year, but so far no cases have been reported at Cox Monett Hospital, according to Janell Patton, community relations director.
* Jean Berg, director of the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library, has announced there are now 33 computers in the nine branches in both the public access and circulation areas.