SEVENTY YEARS AGO
December 10, 1939
* Nellie Mills was elected president of the Monett Circle 78 Ladies of the GAR during the meeting held at the DeMolay Hall of the Masonic Temple.
* Wilma Rittenhouse, age 7, was recently awarded a certificate of honorable mention in the eighth Children's National Photograph Contest.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
December 10, 1949
* Deer were as elusive as ever when the five-day season opened yesterday with only four parties reporting kills in this area.
* Mrs. Ralph Ham, who came to Verona three years ago from the Philippine Islands, received her citizenship papers this week.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
December 10, 1959
* Fire of undetermined origin last night destroyed the farm home of Mr. and Mrs. Bill Hunnell six miles northwest of Monett.
* Named to honor positions in the football Mo-Kan Conference from Pierce City were Joe Whitman, Errol Meadows, Pete Wilson, Virgil McMeley, Jim Larkin, Lester Land and Ron Witt.
FORTY YEARS AGO
December 10, 1969
* Shirley Lampe, a senior at Pierce City High School, has been awarded first place in the senior division at the annual District "Make It With Wool" Contest in Carthage.
* The Monett Cubs won the consolation trophy in the Republic basketball tourney last night with a 71-62 victory over St. Agnes of Springfield.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
December 10, 1979
* A revised salary schedule providing increases for all regular city employees ranging from $25 to $100 a month was approved this morning by the Monett City Council.
* A fire which apparently started on the Frisco Railroad right-of-way in Monett yesterday burned over 18 acres before brought under control by Monett rural and city firemen.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
December 10, 1989
* A Governor's Fitness and Sports Challenge Walk-A-Thon, sponsored by Schreiber Foods of Monett, will be held Saturday.
* A memorial to Floyd Stewart, civic leader and former mayor of Monett, will be unveiled by the Monett Jaycees at the northwest corner of the Centennial Overpass on Sunday.
TEN YEARS AGO
December 10, 1999
* A reunion of retired National Guard soldiers who were active for 20 years or more took place Sunday during the annual Christmas party and awards ceremony for Company C of the 203rd Engineering Battalion at the Monett Armory.
* Early Childhood Education Department at Pierce City Central Elementary School now has a lending library, according to Principal Lois Klatt.