SEVENTY YEARS AGO
December 4, 1939
* From Geneva comes word that the League of Nations has been asked to consider an appeal from Finland for arbitration of the undeclared Finnish-Russian war.
* A.A. Speer, of Monett, who was injured Thursday in an automobile accident, was able to return to work at the M.E. Gillioz office in Monett yesterday.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
December 4, 1949
* The Monett Cubs defeated Nevada 13-6 in the Mable Bowl football game in Carthage last night.
* A large crowd of shoppers and others began coming into Monett around noon today in order to watch the 2 p.m. Christmas parade.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
December 4, 1959
* Harold Rooney, an active Boy Scout leader in Monett, received the Monett Kiwanis Club's Citizen of the Month Award today.
* The Monett City Council voted to purchase a new fire truck at a special meeting yesterday.
FORTY YEARS AGO
December 4, 1969
* The Gillioz Bank and Trust Company has donated $1,000 to the Monett Recreational Development Corporation to be used to help develop the new Monett North Park.
* Jana Lang, 19, of Cassville, was the recipient of the Santa Fe Railway System Award at the National 4-H Congress meeting in Chicago, Illinois.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
December 4, 1979
* Republic used the charity stripe to its advantage Monday to get past the Monett Cubs 68-57 in the Republic basketball tourney.
* Election of a Barry County ASC committee member and two alternates will be held at the annual county convention in Cassville tomorrow.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
December 4, 1989
* Ten employees of Jumping-Jacks Shoes in Monett received service awards at last night's annual company banquet.
* Fifty bowlers have registered to participate in the American Cancer Society benefit bowling tournament, according to Tom McClure, chairman of the Monett Unit of the American Cancer Society.
TEN YEARS AGO
December 4, 1999
* Candidates for Miss Merry Christmas at Pierce City High School are Shelly Claybrook, Jamie Johnson, Alissa Gunter and Jessica Moennig.
* Y2K will have a significant impact on fiscal 2000 second quarter results of Jack Henry and Associates Inc. in Monett, it has been announced.