SEVENTY YEARS AGO
December 3, 1939
* The Monett Drug Company will have the formal opening of its new location at 402 Broadway in Monett on Saturday, owner Kenneth McShane announced.
* Three local garden clubs, Monett, Rainbow and Good Earth, announced they will again sponsor the Christmas home decorating contest.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
December 3, 1949
* Lola Curry left yesterday for her home in Washington D.C. after visiting three weeks in Monett with relatives and friends.
* Oren Moss, of Moss Market, said he will again play Santa Claus to any church, school, organization or lodge at any public gathering in Monett wanting a Christmas tree.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
December 3, 1959
* Burl Roller, assistant postmaster at the Monett Post Office the past nine years, took over today as acting postmaster succeeding Grover Fulton, who retired.
* Rev. Lorin Laeger, who has been pastor of the First Presbyterian Church in Monett the past three and a half years, has accepted a call from the First Presbyterian Church in Pryor, Oklahoma.
FORTY YEARS AGO
December 3, 1969
* Monett's Christmas season was ushered in Saturday with one of the largest and most colorful parades ever held here.
* Aurora's Houn' Dawgs football team today reigned as Class AA state champions after defeating Malden 13-6.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
December 3, 1979
* A movement to establish a community youth center in Monett is now underway with young people as the prime force behind the effort.
* Open house will be held Tuesday at the Gas Service Company's recently completed office at 207 Pine in Monett.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
December 3, 1989
* The annual Christmas Kettle program of the Salvation Army Service Unit of Monett is now underway with a goal of $400 set.
* Linda Wirz, director, said the annual Barry-Lawrence County Development Center was a success with approximately $2,300 raised.
TEN YEARS AGO
December 3, 1999
* Paul and Cindy Teas, of Monett, have been recognized as Humanitarians of the Year by the Community Foundation of the Ozarks.
* Garry Fox, a senior at Purdy High School, has been named to the All-State Choir, according to choir teacher Ginger Meers.