More than 40 drop box locations have been established for State Senate Jack Goodman's "Season of Hope" food drive to support area food pantries during the holiday season. Eight pantries are located in Barry County and nine in Lawrence County, including four in Monett.
Goodman's office expressed appreciation for the outpouring of support for the effort. Drop locations have expanded over 10 times since the campaign was announced.
"When we see a neighbor in trouble, we reach out to help," Goodman said.
"When our neighbors and their children are going hungry, we cannot ignore it," Goodman continued. "As just one part of the regional effort to address this problem, our food drive hopes to help ensure that on Christmas Day families in our district will not have to be concerned about whether they have food on the table."
Donations made at these locations will be picked up and grouped to form Christmas dinners for families in need.
In order to provide as many Christmas dinners as possible, Season of Hope has targeted the following groceries for collection: turkeys, hams, chickens, boxed stuffing, boxed mashed potatoes, canned sweet potatoes, canned cranberry sauce, canned green beans, cans or mixes of gravy and boxed macaroni and cheese.
Persons interested in donating a ham, turkey or other perishable item should contact Senator Goodman's office at 417-466-3731 so staff can help arrange for its storage.
"Of course, all donations are greatly appreciated and will be used for a great cause," a staff spokesperson said.
Non-perishable items can be donated at any of the donation box locations listed below:
* Monett Chamber of Commerce, 200 E. Broadway.
* Ramey Supermarket, 2150 E. Cleveland, Monett.
* Crosslines, 510 E Cleveland St.
* First State Bank, 106 E. Cleveland.
* First State Bank of Purdy, Highway C and Kay Ave., Purdy.
* Dollar General, 104 Main St., Cassville.
* Barry County Courthouse, 700 Main St., Cassville.
* Cassville Chamber of Commerce, 504 Main St., Cassville.
* Flummerfelt's Town & Country, 110 N Elm St., Pierce City.
* Price Cutter Supermarket, 708 S. Elliott. Aurora.
* Aurora Chamber of Commerce, 121 E Olive St. Aurora.
* Pregnancy Care Center, 315 S. Madison, Aurora.
* Summer Fresh Supermarket; 615 E Mt. Vernon Blvd., Mt. Vernon.
* The Title Place, 103 S Market St., Mt. Vernon.
* Mid America Dental and Hearing Center, 1050 W. Hayward Dr., Mt. Vernon.
* Petrus Law Office, 219 S Hickory St., Mt Vernon.
* Missouri Rehabilitation Center, 600 N. Main Street, Mt. Vernon.
The food drive effort has also established six drop-off sites in McDonald County, four in Stone County, 10 in Taney County and three in Ozark County.