SEVENTY YEARS AGO
December 2, 1939
* F.E. McGlohn, of Monett, was elected president of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen at a meeting last night.
* Russian bombing planes set the southwestern section of Helsinki afire today in a sudden land, sea and air invasion of Finland.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
December 2, 1949
* Lou Ellen Jones and Newman Walker, of Monett, students at Southwest Missouri State College in Springfield, have been nominated for Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges.
* James Randall, of Monett, has been elected president of the Barry County Hereford Breeders Association.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
December 2, 1959
* More than 60 units marched down Broadway in Monett for Monett's annual Christmas Parade, which was seen by a big crowd despite frigid weather.
* A National Forensic Key has been awarded to Tommy Wright, a senior at Monett High School.
FORTY YEARS AGO
December 2, 1969
* Armond Carlin, Roscoe Eden and Emil Schad were elected as directors for the new year at the annual meeting of the Monett Farmers Exchange.
* Grand opening celebration at Westco, 311 East Broadway in Monett, opens today.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
December 2, 1979
* Rev. William Fowler, missionary to Nicaragua, will be the guest speaker Sunday at the Church of the Nazarene, located at Eighth Street and Bond in Monett.
* Plans for the new high school football playoff systems were discussed at yesterday's meeting of the Big 12 Conference with Monett Principal David Sippy and Jerry Layman of Carl Junction named to prepare the proposal to be presented in January to the Missouri State High School Activities Association.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
December 2, 1989
* Plans for a major improvement to the Monett Wastewater Treatment Plant will be reviewed at a public hearing tomorrow.
* Joe Lucero, Mike Anderson, David Roetto, Chet Nine and Stuart Wooley headline a strong Monett wrestling team this season.
TEN YEARS AGO
December 2, 1999
* A tree lighting ceremony of the community tree at Monett South Park, sponsored by Monett Women of Today, will be held December 4.
* Sam Gaskill, 131st Missouri state representative from Washburn, read a book to pre-schoolers at the Monett branch of the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library yesterday in conjunction with National Children's Book Week.