SEVENTY YEARS AGO
November 12, 1939
* Mr. and Mrs. V.B. Hall, of Monett, entertained a dinner yesterday in honor of the birthday of Coach Ray Moss.
* Mrs. J.P. Arend, of Monett, was appointed to the district grand matron of the 55th District, Order of the Eastern Star.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
November 12, 1949
* Mr. and Mrs. Richard Padgham returned yesterday from a wedding trip to St. Louis and are now at home in an apartment at 311 Wishart Street in Monett.
* Mr. and Mrs. W.F. Landrum, Mrs. Charles Mansfield, Mrs. Joseph Rowell and Mrs. Fielding Sizer drove to Springfield on Tuesday to spend the day.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
November 12, 1959
* A total of 102 students from Barry County are enrolled at Southwest Missouri State College in Springfield during the present fall term.
* Mrs. Loyd Cox, of Monett, has returned from Wickenburg, Arizona, where she went to visit her brother, Fred Gibbons.
FORTY YEARS AGO
November 12, 1969
* Fortieth anniversary of the Merls Chapel Free Will Baptist Church was observed yesterday with all-day services.
* Employment of Larry Richardson as policeman, Cy Carpenter as volunteer firefighter and Frank Barchak as meter reader was approved by the Monett City Council yesterday.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
November 12, 1979
* Larry and Deena Bottom, owners, have announced the opening of Biermann's Restaurant in Freistatt.
* Dr. Elburn Smith, of Neosho, a native of Monett, has announced plans to operate Smith Clinic at the hospital in Stella.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
November 12, 1989
* Plans for the purchase of property west of Monett for the development of a new 18-hole golf course for the city were announced last night.
* Kathy Wormington, a 1978 graduate of Monett High School, has recently joined the Price-Fulton branch of Century 21 Real Estate in Springdale, Arkansas.
TEN YEARS AGO
November 12, 1999
* Erin Hoemann, Sara Sperandio and Shannon Rhuems, of the Monett Cubs volleyball team, have been named for All-Conference honors.
* Increased concern about the dry weather conditions prompted Verona Fire Chief Morris Koehler to issue a no burn ban in the city.