SEVENTY YEARS AGO
November 11, 1939
* Word has been received that John Higgins, son of Mr. and Mrs. F.L. Higgins, of Monett, has joined the U.S. Coast Guard Band in Galveston, Texas.
* Leaving a beer cellar in Munich, Germany, earlier than expected, Adolph Hitler escaped death when the place was bombed.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
November 11, 1949
* Mrs. Hulda Jones, of Sapulpa, Oklahoma, has returned home after a visit in Monett with Mrs. W.G. Kirk.
* Mr. and Mrs. Jed Reynaud, of Sioux City, Iowa, arrived in Monett this week for a visit with Mrs. Reynaud's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Ed Howard.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
November 11, 1959
* Linda Roller, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Burl Roller, of Monett, was named the winner of the Monett Industrial Development Corporation essay contest on why she likes to shop in Monett.
* Patricia Randall, senior at Monett High School, took first place in the recent American Legion essay contest.
FORTY YEARS AGO
November 11, 1969
* Raymond Krueger was named Student of the Month at Monett High School for the month of October.
* Three long punt returns for touchdowns keyed Monett's 42-0 football victory over Cassville last night.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
November 11, 1979
* The purchase of a new eight-channel base station radio for use by all city departments was approved by the Monett City Council yesterday.
* Mr. and Mrs. Ramon Carver, who have been working as a team on Wentworth's Rural Route 1 since 1940, have announced their retirement from the postal service.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
November 11, 1989
* Voters in Miller narrowly approved a proposal to abolish the elective office of city marshal in favor of a police chief at the polls yesterday.
* Robert Coney was hired as part-time paramedic and Terry Buffalo was upgraded to full-time emergency medical technician at last night's meeting of the Barry-Lawrence Ambulance District board of directors.
TEN YEARS AGO
November 11, 1999
* A new 200-bed nursing home for military veterans in Mt. Vernon will receive funding in the current fiscal year, according to Roy Blunt, southwest Missouri congressman.
* Adam Martin, Gary Koenig and Tim Stidham, of the Monett Cubs football team, have been tabbed for All-Big 8 Conference honors.