SEVENTY YEARS AGO
November 5, 1939
* The Good Earth Club was the name selected for the new garden club in Monett. Mrs. P.N. Cook is the president of the new club.
* The Femper-Amecia Monett High School boys fraternity entertained a masquerade party on Tuesday.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
November 5, 1949
* Twyla Mae Kennedy was chosen Wednesday by members of the Monett football team to be their queen at the Homecoming game on Armistice Day.
* Lowell Kelley, Raymond Stoops, Dale Long and Melvin Washburn are the members of an athletic committee of the Monett American Legion.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
November 5, 1959
* The Monett Armory has been chosen as the site for the state convention and show of the Missouri State Rabbit Breeders Association.
* The annual chrysanthemum show "Autumn Splendor," sponsored by the Pierce City Garden Club, was well attended last weekend.
FORTY YEARS AGO
November 5, 1969
* Kathy Bellm was crowned queen of the 1969 Theron Bennett Festival in Pierce City. She was crowned by Alice Batschelet, the 1967 queen.
* Junior Scates, of Monett, Joe Terry, of Pierce City, Hose Terry and Gary Terry, of Butterfield, and Dr. and Mrs. Kermit Howell, of Purdy, recently returned from a hunting trip in Wyoming.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
November 5, 1979
* High school students from Monett, Pierce City and Aurora will perform with the St. Louis Brass Quintet in concert at the Trinity Lutheran Church in Freistatt on Sunday.
* Monett, the second seed, defeated Cassville in two sets last night to win the Class 3A district 12 volleyball championship.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
November 5, 1989
* John Woodard was elected captain of the Barry County Shrine Trikers for 1990 last night.
* Paul Adams, of rural Verona, has been promoted to the position of manager of the MFA Exchange in Cassville. He had been assistant manager.
TEN YEARS AGO
November 5, 1999
* Rosemary Plitt Award was presented Tuesday to Esther Kleiboeker, of Monett, for dedication to the democratic process by serving as an election judge or supervisory judge of Lawrence County for 31 years and as a Republican committeewoman for 38 years.
* Around 35 pets and their owners gathered at St. Stephen's Episcopal Church in Monett for St. Francis of Assisi's annual Blessing of the Animals. Father Matt Teel did the blessing