EIGHTY YEARS AGO
November 4, 1929
* Receiving the grade of E in the French quarter examinations at Monett Junior College were Frank Davis, Mary Helen Willhoite, Hazel Smith, Eldora Gentry, Marvin Russell and Barbara Rhea.
* Mrs. A.M. Powers of Fort Smith, Arkansas, visited in the home of Mrs. C.A. Blakemore of Monett on Thursday.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
November 4, 1939
* Mrs. Joseph White, of Pierce City, sustained an eye injury when she was struck by a rock thrown by a boy.
* Finis Johnson, of Monett, great grandson of Fleming Gatewood, who acquired Mammoth Cave in 1810, made his first visit to the Kentucky cave last week.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
November 4, 1949
* Inducted into the Monett Kiwanis Club this week were Dr. Russell Powell, Dr. Lawrence Williams, Tice Rollins, Principal Wayne Wright and O.J. Twitty.
* G.E. Potter, of Carthage, has announced he has leased the locker plant in Monett from his son, Earl Potter.
FORTY YEARS AGO
November 4, 1969
* Troopers Ron and Don Selvey of the Missouri State Highway Patrol have been promoted to the rank of corporal and have received new assignments.
* Work is progressing on the ball diamonds at the new Monett city park development at the north city limits, and the fields are expected to be ready for use next summer.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
November 4, 1979
* Outstanding costumes of all shapes and sizes were on hand at the annual Halloween Costume Contest sponsored by the Monett Jaycees.
* Monett Band Boosters fall magazine subscription drive netted $916.32, according to Mrs. Gary Baker, president of the band boosters.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
November 4, 1989
* Volunteer firefighters hired by the Monett City Council yesterday were Jerry Marbut, Larry Scroggs and Richard Pennel.
* Michael Stevenson, son of Robert and Sharon Stevenson, of Purdy, and a 1985 graduate of Purdy High School, has been inducted into Alpha Chi at Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau.
TEN YEARS AGO
November 4, 1999
* Retirement of Terry Fuldner, co-founder and current chairman of EFCO Corporation in Monett, has been announced.
* Purchase of property in Mt. Vernon for library parking has been announced by Jean Berg, director of the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library.