SEVENTY YEARS AGO
October 30, 1939
* Dr. J.M. Russell, Dr. L.H. Ferguson, Dr. E. Mitchell, Dr. Frank Kerr and Dr. O.J. Brandt went to Mt. Vernon on Friday to attend a meeting of the Missouri State Medical Association.
* The American problems class at Monett High School debated the value of chain stores Friday. The affirmative were Raymond Stoops and Irene Cummins. The negative were Ed Linebarger and Polly Perry.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
October 30, 1949
* Roller skaters took a back seat Thursday when "Poop", a 93-year-old who has been skating since he was six, visited the Monett Skating Rink and staged a 30-minute exhibition.
* Charles Main, manager of Main Variety Store in Monett, was dismissed this morning from St. Vincent's Hospital after a tonsillectomy.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
October 30, 1959
* Burl Roller, assistant Monett postmaster, was elected secretary for the coming year of the Monett Kiwanis Club yesterday.
* Seven sets of twins, most of them identical, are attending Pierce City High School this year.
FORTY YEARS AGO
October 30, 1969
* Millie Bruton was crowned Future Farmers of America Sweetheart at the Wheaton High School FFA chapter barnwarming Friday night.
* First runner-up in the recent Miss Arkansas Rodeo Contest at the Little Rock State Fair was Dana Castor, granddaughter of Mr. and Mrs. Lafe Castor and Mrs. Nellie Teehan, all of Monett.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
October 30, 1979
* Mrs. S. Allen Watson of St. Stephen's Church of Monett was elected president last night of the Episcopal Church Women of the Diocese of West Missouri.
* Dan Probstfield, assistant administrator of St. Vincent's Hospital in Monet, presented an overview of the hospital to members of the Lay Advisory Board yesterday.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
October 30, 1989
* The Monett Cubs volleyball team, coached by Jackie Bolton, defeated McDonald County for the fifth straight year to claim the district tournament championship last night.
* Larry Kleiboeker, son of Mr. and Mrs. Arno Kleiboeker, of Monett, has been elected to the board of directors of the Screen Printing Association International.
TEN YEARS AGO
October 30, 1999
* The Lawrence County Health Department will be conducting flu clinics in four locations the first part of November, it has been announced.
* Monett Fire Chief Tom Jones has announced both the downtown and Industrial Park fire stations will be open Saturday evening for children out on trick-or-treat to pick up some goodies from Monett firefighters.