Upcoming Halloween events are being scheduled beginning tonight at several area locations.
Monett's traditional costume contest and downtown parade will not be held this year. The Festival Committee decided against holding its parade for children along the downtown business district on a Saturday. Consequently, the Monett Lions Club decided not to hold the costume contest at city hall, where the Horseshoe Theater has a show scheduled for 7 p.m.
New Site Baptist Church will host "A Lite in the Nite" trunk or treat from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. This is a free event with hotdogs and candy. The church is located on 1925 Farm Road 1060 off of Highway 60, west of Monett.
The Monett Jaycees will host the second weekend of its haunted house at Dairy Street across from Schreiber Foods and next to Unique Creations beside Kelly Creek. The haunted house is open Thursday through Saturday, beginning at 6 p.m. The Jaycees, the Relay for Life Team Cure-ious and other volunteers are participating in the effort.
The Animal Clinic of Monett, located on west Highway 37, will be hosting its third annual Halloween pet costume contest from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Oct. 30. Prizes will be awarded to the best costume. Treats will be provided for pets and their owners.
Other are events on Halloween day and night include:
* "High on Life" celebration from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Pierce City National Guard Armory. The free event will focus on showing alternatives to drug use. It will feature entertainers, speakers and activities for young people to demonstrate life can be full and interesting without dabbling in drugs and alcohol.
* The Purdy Police Department will be handing out Halloween candy at the Purdy City Hall from 5 to 8 p.m.
* There will be a "trunk or treat" at Verona City Park beginning at 6 p.m. In the event of inclement weather, it will be held at the fire department. The Canopy Lodge Masons will be serving free chili.
* Monett area churches and the YMCA will host a "trunk or treat" from 6 to 9 p.m. at the First United Methodist Church of Monett. Events will be free.
* "Trunk or treat" will be held from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Monett Baptist Church and First Christian Church of Monett, both located on Fourth Street.
* The Monett High School choir will host a Halloween extravaganza from 3 to 6 p.m. with a craft show also to be held in the gymnasium.
* A costume contest will be held at the Den on Saturday night between 6 p.m. and midnight with prizes to be awarded. There will also be a concert with The Vague followed by a show featuring illusionist Cody Lowery.