EIGHTY YEARS AGO
October 28, 1929
* The J.C. Penney Store opened in Monett this morning. C.S. Wheeler is the manager.
* Mrs. J.E. Jenkins and Mrs. C.D. Niskern, of Monett, attended the Rebekah Lodge meeting in Pierce City last night.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
October 28, 1939
* Germany is determined to fight Britain to the bitter end and is supremely confident of victory, according to Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop.
* Anyone caught breaking globes in street lights around Monett will be prosecuted, according to a notice issue by the Monett City Council.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
October 28, 1949
* Nancy Timmons, of Monett, was elected Homecoming queen at Southwest Missouri State College in Springfield.
* Donnie Collier, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.W. Collier, who has shared the quarterbacking duties this season on the Monett Cubs football team, sustained a fractured left ankle in practice on Tuesday.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
October 28, 1959
* Work began today on the new addition to the Marshall Hill Methodist Church building. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held yesterday.
* Mrs. Florene Watson Best, musician from Pierce City, has been named guest artist of the month at the officer's club on Laredo Air Force Base, Texas.
FORTY YEARS AGO
October 28, 1969
* Outstanding Chapter award to the Barry County Chapter of March of Dimes is on display at the office of John Stormzand, of Monett, chapter chairman
* Winning their seventh game of the season, the Monett Cubs rolled to a 42-0 victory over Cassville in a football game last night.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
October 28, 1989
* Monett volleyball players Melinda Cox, Barbara Bauer and Stacey Tyson have been named to the first team All-Conference team.
* Dr. Ronald Netzer, Dr. Robert Netzer and Dr. Jerry Weber, all of Monett, attended a seminar in Joplin last weekend.
TEN YEARS AGO
October 28, 1999
* Students at Monett High School have started planning for the annual Golden Age Dinner for senior citizens, scheduled for November 16 at the high school commons area.
* Little Mister and Miss Merry Christmas Pageant, sponsored by Monett Women of Today, is set for November 13 at the Monett Middle School.