EIGHTY YEARS AGO
October 22, 1929
* Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Robinson and family motored to Rogers, Arkansas, on Sunday to visit relatives.
* Mrs. W.W. Hagar and son, Russell, attended the Monett-Springfield football game in Springfield on Friday afternoon.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
October 22, 1939
* Mrs. E.E. Smith, of Monett, was re-elected district president of the Missouri Congress of Parents and Teachers at the meeting in Kirksville.
* Mary Davis and Oleta Gravitt, of Monett, visited in Joplin on Thursday with Mary Reynaud, a patient at St. John's Hospital.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
October 22, 1949
* Fire spreading from the piles of burning corncobs on the Whitlock-Lines mill property on Front Street in Monett ignited a small storage building today.
* Joining Troop E 108th Cavalry this month were Ronnie McQueen, of Exeter, Albert Cannon, of Cassville and Tommy Stanton, of Monett.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
October 22, 1959
* Monett Future Farmers of America Chapter members attending the American Royal in Kansas City last weekend were Ricky Bixler, Leroy Ginther, Richard Heim, Jim Logan, Leo Schmidt, James Marbut, Larry Hyde, Larry Roller and John Sperandio.
* Mr. and Mrs. John Campbell Jr., of Monett, visited in Kansas City last weekend.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
October 22, 1979
* Benny Henderson, local country and western singer, is a contestant on the Ozark Jubilee Talent Show in Springfield tonight.
* Debbie Parker, physical education instructor at Monett Elementary School, is attending the Missouri Association of Health, Physical Education and Recreation Fall Convention in Jefferson City.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
October 22, 1989
* Pierce City is among 100 Missouri cities included in Southwestern Bell Telephone Company's three-year program of installing high technology digital switching systems for routing telephone calls.
* Clara and Gorman Ellis, of Monett, were honored for their achievements as Shaklee sales leaders at the 1989 Leadership Convention held in Arizona.
TEN YEARS AGO
October 22, 1999
* A full slate of events are in store for festival goers Saturday as Monett's downtown will be the site of the eight annual Oktoberfest (fall festival).
* Construction on the $626,000 addition to Trinity Lutheran School in Freistatt is nearly complete, according to Principal Carole Kleiboeker.