SEVENTY YEARS AGO
October 21, 1939
* Mrs. P.S. Pittman and children, Mary and Samuel, of Monett, spent Thursday visiting in St. Louis.
* Dottye Lou Gillette, of Monett, will go to St. Louis on Friday to spend the weekend with her aunt, Mrs. James White.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
October 21, 1949
* Chances of the new rural school reorganization plan being approved by voters in the 11 school districts of the Monett area appear to be small.
* A caravan of cars loaded with eighth grade students left the junior high building this morning for a visit to the Gulf Station south of Monett.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
October 21, 1959
* Cheerleaders at Verona High School include Karen Youngberg, Connie Buehler, Mary Pruente, Peggy Browning, Patsy Raines and Donna Terry.
* The United States Department of Education and Welfare has approved a grant of $31,692 to the City of Monett for the construction of a lift station, force main and modernization of the present sewage treatment plant.
FORTY YEARS AGO
October 21, 1969
* Spicy apple butter, cooked the old-fashioned way, was the main attraction at the third annual Apple Butter Makin' Days held yesterday and today in Mt. Vernon.
* Major Carroll Eppley, son of Mr. and Mrs. A.R. Eppley, of Monett, was featured in an article in the October issue of The MAC Flyer.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
October 21, 1979
* Paul DeRigne, of Monett, photo artist, will be among artists from throughout the area displaying work at the 26th annual War Eagle Fair.
* The fall drought which has plagued the Monett area for nearly a month, was broken yesterday when the skies opened up to produce a veritable downpour.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
October 21, 1989
* Formal ceremonies will be held Friday in Bonner Springs, Arkansas, to induct Barry County agricultural pioneer Curtis Fletcher Marbut into the Agriculture Hall of Fame.
* Shawn Patton, son of Mr. and Mrs. George Patton, of Monett, and a sophomore at Central Missouri State University, is a new pledge of Sigma Tau Gamma fraternity.
TEN YEARS AGO
October 21, 1999
* Mayor Jerry Fulp announced today that he and other members of the Monett City Council will pursue hiring the first city administrator for Monett.
* Darrin Newbold has been promoted to community bank president of UMB Bank n.a. of Monett, it has been announced.