SEVENTY YEARS AGO
October 16, 1939
* Joseph Robinson, who attends Drury College in Springfield, is home this weekend with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Robinson.
* A dessert bridge, with colors suggestive of Halloween, was given Thursday by Miss Blanche Gillioz.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
October 16, 1949
* The Frisco Employees Club of Monett will assist in the purchase of television sets for the Frisco Employees Hospital in St. Louis by sponsoring a square dance next month.
* A complete propane heating system is being installed in the Jarvis Tax Service suite of offices in the Salzer Building in Monett.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
October 16, 1959
* Ninety residents of the North Barry County Red Cross Chapter volunteered to contribute a pint of blood to the bloodmobile yesterday, reaching 90 percent of the quota.
* Mr. and Mrs. Hal Schiezer are inviting residents of the Monet area to attend the open house of their new Dairy Queen drive-in.
FORTY YEARS AGO
October 16, 1969
* Robert Walker III, son of Mrs. Mary Ann Walker of Route 1, Monett, will depart November 7 for a two-year assignment at the American Embassy in Paris, France.
* American flag decals were distributed this morning to all students at the Monett Elementary School by members of the Monett Kiwanis Club.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
October 16, 1979
* Sherre Marek of Monett has been elected president of the Southwest District Classroom Teachers Association.
* Roderick Arms and Tool and Associated Machinist, both of Monett, will have exhibits at the first Ozark Industrial Expo in Joplin on Wednesday.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
October 16, 1989
* Deanna Gripka was crowned football homecoming queen of Pierce City High School last Friday night.
* Kimberly Temberton, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Huffmaster of Monett, has been appointed an in-flight supervisor for Alaska Airlines.
TEN YEARS AGO
October 16, 1999
* Linda Dohmen of Monett, chairman of the Barry-Lawrence Area United Fund, said more than 20 area service organizations will be helped with funding this year.
* Emily Greer, Ashley Brown, Kyla Black, Jeannine Blankinship and Jon Rickman of the Monett cross country teams earned medals in the Southwest competition yesterday.