SEVENTY YEARS AGO
October 14, 1939
* Hundreds of people gathered at the scene of a gasoline and fuel fire at the bulk plant near the north edge of the Cassville business district last night.
* Roger Matthews, of Monett, went to Springfield on Tuesday and drove home a new Nash car.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
October 14, 1949
* Jimmie Balmas, 13-year-old son of Mr. and Mrs. Eli Balmas, of Monett, killed five snakes yesterday.
* The Monett Cubs football team, riddled with injuries this year, sustained another yesterday when starting defensive guard and the heaviest lineman on the roster, received a broken nose in practice.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
October 14, 1959
* Loren Holmes, Gene Mulvaney, Ed Krueger and W.L. Atwell, members of the Monett Fire Department fire hose coupling team, won first place in competition at the Southwest Missouri Firemen's Association meeting.
* Dinner guests of Mr. and Mrs. James Hunt, of Monett, were Dr. and Mrs. A.M. Alexander and Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Burnett, of Springfield.
FORTY YEARS AGO
October 14, 1969
* Master apple grower by any standards is Horace Gardner, of Monett, whose orchards south of town on Highway 37 annually provide applies for local residents as well as people from far away places.
* Specialist Five Jerry Wallace, son of Mr. and Mrs. Jerome Wallace, of Monett, has received the Army Commendation Medal near Bear Cat, Vietnam.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
October 14, 1979
* A benefit country western show is set for Saturday at the Monett City Hall Auditorium with all proceeds to go to the Monett United Way Campaign.
* Mrs. Irene Roller, Mrs. Ruth Hayward and Mr. and Mrs. Ted Roller, all of Purdy, attended the Arts and Crafts Festival in Silver Dollar City yesterday.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
October 14, 1989
* Contracts for the construction of the first-ever sewage collection and treatment system in Freistatt were awarded last night.
* Nicole Doss, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Bill Doss, of Monett, and a freshman at Missouri Southern State College in Joplin, will perform Saturday with the flag corps at halftime of the Saturday football homecoming game at MSSC.
TEN YEARS AGO
October 14, 1999
* Knights of Columbus Council 1075 of Monett has started its fourth annual coat drive, according to Al Dohmen of the Knights of Columbus.
* A special program was held recently for area cattlemen at the Monett National Guard Armory, hosted by Main Street Feeds.