SEVENTY YEARS AGO
October 7, 1939
* Norma Fritz, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arno Fritz of Monett, was selected as the winner of the beauty pageant held at the Gillioz Theatre on Wednesday.
* American merchant vessels have been warned to stay away from the European danger zones since there is the possibility that warfare on shipping will be intensified, according to United States Secretary of State Cordell Hull.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
October 7, 1949
* Sue May and Freddie Thompson, fifth graders at Marshall Hill School in Monett, were crowned king and queen at the school carnival last night.
* Twyla Kenney was crowned Monett football homecoming queen last night and she watched Monett defeat Neosho, 33-0.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
October 7, 1959
* Wentworth's annual school carnival, with more than a dozen games and concessions planned, will be held tomorrow night.
* Mr. and Mrs. Dennis Cuendet, of St. Louis, visited in Monett with their parents, Mr. and Ami Cuendet and Mr. and Mrs. Kenneth Metcalf, last weekend.
FORTY YEARS AGO
October 7, 1969
* Anita Chapman was crowned homecoming football queen at Pierce City High School at halftime of last night's Pierce City-Liberal game.
* Outdoor writers from Missouri, Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma will attend the ninth annual convention of the Great Rivers Outdoor Writers at Roaring River State Park near Cassville tomorrow.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
October 7, 1979
* Audit for the City of Monett has been completed and shows a total general fund balance of $279,736.49 as of March 31, 1979.
* Monett High School Marching Pride Band will be among 26 high school bands competing Saturday in the Music Bowl at Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
October 7, 1989
* Missouri Governor John Ashcroft will tour the new 120,000 square foot George's poultry processing plant near Butterfield tomorrow.
* Preparations for construction are underway on a new $150,000 facility in Cassville under the direction of the Barry-Lawrence Association for Retarded Citizens.
TEN YEARS AGO
October 7, 1999
* A second major expansion in two years is being planned at Lacoba Homes in Monett, a skilled nursing facility.
* Seniors Candra Staponski, Kristina Proffit and Jennifer Copeland are vying for the honor of football homecoming queen at Pierce City this week.