EIGHTY YEARS AGO
September 30, 1929
* Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Davis, of Monett, returned home Wednesday from Wichita, Kansas, where they had visited friends and relatives.
* Mrs. B.D. Jones, Mrs. E.W. Hoffa and Mrs. Jack Stewart, of Aurora, attended the conference in Monett on Friday.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
September 30, 1939
* Mrs. Lawrence Davis and Mrs. Roy Kennedy hosted a household shower for Mrs. Doyle Shepherd, of Monett.
* Mr. and Mrs. Bert Bradford, of Monett, were surprised Wednesday when a group of their friends gave them a basket dinner in celebration of their 32nd wedding anniversary.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
September 30, 1949
* Joan Dieterich, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joe Dieterich of Monett, was named Miss Monett at the beauty contest last night at the Gillioz Theatre.
* Tom Kingsbury, of Greenville, Texas, went to work yesterday as assistant manager of the J.C. Penney Store in Monett.
FORTY YEARS AGO
September 30, 1969
* Grand opening celebration of the newly remodeled Gillioz Theatre in Monett was held Wednesday.
* Monett and Barry County law enforcement officers are investigating a break-in at a home on Callan Road southwest of Monett.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
September 30, 1979
* A letter commending the Monett Fire Department for its handling of the propane explosion and fire on September 19 has been received by the fire department from the state fire marshal in Jefferson City.
* Barry County will receive $28,283 from the latest payments by the Bureau of Land Management to counties with certain tax exempt federal lands within their boundaries.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
September 30, 1989
* Wayne Sooter has been elected president of the Pierce City Howdy Neighbor Days Festival Committee for the coming year.
* A bid of $127,612.80 has been accepted by the Lawrence County Commission for replacement of a bridge over Dry Valley Creek northwest of Pierce City.
TEN YEARS AGO
September 30, 1999
* Today the Monett City Council formally hired David Tatum, of Aurora, as the city's official police chief. He had been interim chief since June.
* Second place trophy was won by the Monett Cubs softball team in the Cassville Tournament on Saturday. The Cubs are coached by Bill Haynes