SEVENTY YEARS AGO
September 23, 1939
* Canada summoned trained fliers today for immediate overseas duty and launches organization of a volunteer expeditionary force of 32,000 men to be available in event they are needed in the European conflict.
* Kathleen Roberts was elected president of the Recondite Pep Club in Monett at the first fall meeting held Tuesday.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
September 23, 1949
* Walter Wright of near Pierce City sustained a compound fracture of his right leg when his team of horses bolted Tuesday while he was hauling rock.
* Vernon Bradford, who fell and suffered a broken left ankle last Thursday, is still confined to his home at 606 Sixth St. in Monett.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
September 23, 1959
* Rev. W.J. Willis, pastor of the Presbyterian Church in Hoberg, will observe his 65th anniversary in the ministry on Thursday.
* The seven children of Mr. and Mrs. Damon Wormington, of Purdy, have the distinction of all having been married by Rev. Winford Davis, pastor in Monett.
FORTY YEARS AGO
September 23, 1969
* A new book entitled "Scholars On Parade", written by Dr. Davis Lockmiller, husband of the former Alma Russell, of Monett, has been published.
* Sandy Ferrell has been elected the new president of the Future Teachers of America chapter at Monett High School.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
September 23, 1979
* Preliminary work got underway today on a major expansion project for the Wal-Mart store on East Highway 60 in Monett.
* A member of the State Fire Marshal's Office as termed the explosion and fire at Empiregas in Monett as incendiary.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
September 23, 1989
* Monett's first Pioneer Days Fall Arts and Crafts Festival is slated for Saturday and Sunday at the city park.
* Guest speaker at Sunday services at the First Free Will Baptist Church in Monett will be Rev. Ken Dodson of Nashville, Tennessee, a former pastor of the church.
TEN YEARS AGO
September 23, 1999
* The Pierce City Chamber of Commerce is gearing up to present the third annual Theron Bennett Ragtime and Early Jazz Music Festival on October 9.
* Plans for the addition to the Monett Branch of the Barry-Lawrence Regional Library were discussed at the recent meeting of the library's board of trustees.