EIGHTY YEARS AGO
September 11, 1929
* Joe Doennig, of Monett, has returned from Kansas City where he went for the Ford Motor Company.
* Evelyn Powell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. C.E. Powell of the Monett Bakery, has left for Columbia to attend the state university.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
September 11, 1939
* The British government announced today that its Navy is taking "energetic measures" to halt what was described as Germany's "ruthless submarine warfare."
* Bill Duncan was elected president of the second year class and O.D. Shaddox was elected president of the first year class at Monett Junior College.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
September 11, 1959
* Schools in Aurora and Pierce City were invaded by burglars last night with nearly $300 taken in cash and heavy damage done to the doors, vaults and other furnishings.
* F.P. Sizer, of Monett, and Robert Stemmons, Jr., of Mt. Vernon, have been asked to serve as county chairmen of the University of Missouri Alumni Association for 1959-60.
FORTY YEARS AGO
September 11, 1969
* Dr. Z. Willard Gunckel, pastor of the Waldensian Presbyterian Church, has been elected president for the coming year of the Monett Ministerial Alliance.
* J. Edward Sweeney, a graduate of the University of Missouri School of Law, is now associated with his father, Ed Sweeney, in the practice of law in Monett.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
September 11, 1979
* Construction is nearing completion on the new 14,045 square foot facility for the Monett and Pierce City Wards of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, located on Highway 37 South.
* Odis Holder, Mona Ray and Rowena Higgs are serving on the planning committee for the Butterfield and Shady Grove Homecoming, slated for September 16.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
September 11, 1989
* Annual apple butter project of Hubert H. Kleiboeker Post 419 Freistatt American Legion and Auxiliary is now underway with orders being taken, according to Mrs. Cecil Doss of the Auxiliary.
* Nationally known composer and pianist Dr. Warren Angell will give a concert Sunday at the First Baptist Church in Monett.
TEN YEARS AGO
September 11, 1999
* Vying for Monett High School football homecoming queen this fall are seniors Kara Kirch, Courtney Sebastian, Ashley Rhea and Jennifer Blankinship.
* Monett's Jaycees, as they have done for several years, will host the National Football League Gatorade Punt, Pass and Kick competition on Sunday at Burl Fowler Athletic Field in Monett.