EIGHTY YEARS AGO
September 9, 1929
* Central Park School PTA in Monett had its first meeting of the new school year with Mrs. Charles Galloway, president, in charge.
* C.E. Evans, of Monett, went to Webb City on Saturday to attend a meeting of the executive committee of the Missouri State Teachers Association.
SEVENTY YEARS AGO
September 9, 1939
* Warsaw Radio, silent yesterday, announced today that "the Poles will not capitulate. We will finish." And word has come that the fifth English ship has been destroyed by the Germans.
* The entrance to the Odd Fellows Cemetery in Monett has been completed, it has been announced.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
September 9, 1949
* A Polio Epidemic Emergency Drive was announced Wednesday by Basil O'Conner, National Foundation president.
* Ordinances were passed yesterday by the Monett City Council to take care of several spots in the city where the need for street improvements is acute.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
September 9, 1959
* A plaque of appreciation was presented by members of the Monett Kiwanis Club to Priscilla Bradford, speech and debate instruction at Monett High School, for outstanding accomplishment and service to the youth of Monett.
* Kay Parker and Ann Bentley have been named as co-editors of the Cub-O-Rama, the Monett High School yearbook.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
September 9, 1979
* An improvement project for the Marshall Hill area of Monett was discussed in a public hearing conducted by the Monett City Council yesterday.
* A 42-pound watermelon has been growing amid a bed of roses in the yard of Mr. and Mrs. Lawrence Willyard, 403 Eisenhower in Monett.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
September 9, 1989
* Lawrence County Sheriff Dave Tatum was installed as treasurer of the Missouri Sheriffs Association yesterday.
* Kris Elbert, delegate to 1989 Missouri Boys State from Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 Monett American Legion, was guest speaker at last night's meeting of the Post.
TEN YEARS AGO
September 9, 1999
* Cheerleaders at Monett High School this year are Sheena Palmer, Jennifer Blankinship, Kaymen Teas, Ashley Brown, Susana Branum, Kati Parrigon, Teresa Rosebrough, Kristen Obermann, Kristen Lowery, Allison Bogart, Ashley Alford, Jenna Bass, Shelby Bourey, Jennifer Patterson, Janie Schmidt and Jevona Killion.
* The annual Field Day, hosted by the University of Missouri Southwest Center at Mt. Vernon, will be held Friday and will include tours featuring dairy, agronomy, beef and horticulture.