SEVENTY YEARS AGO
September 8, 1939
* Owners of the British liner Athenia, sunk Sunday off the British coast with 1,418 persons aboard, reported today 128 persons missing or dead.
* The housewives of this country today felt the effects of the European war in rising prices for food for the family.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
September 8, 1949
* An estimated 2,000 persons converged on the oldest church in this area, the Trinity Lutheran Church in Freistatt, on Sunday in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of its founding.
* Announcement was made today of the opening tomorrow of the Vermillion Self-Service Laundry at 512 Benton St. in Monett.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
September 8, 1959
* Gordon Schad, son of Mrs. Fred Schad, of Purdy, is to be recommended at the 32nd annual national Future Farmers of America convention in October for the honor of American Farmer, the highest honor in FFA.
* A square dance and ice cream social in honor of Ernie Boucher, a patient at the Missouri State Sanitorium in Mt. Vernon, were held last night in Springfield.
FORTY YEARS AGO
September 8, 1969
* An open letter to residents of the Monett area has been received from Noel Kiwanis Club expressing appreciation for the help extended at the time of the explosions of Kansas City Southern freight cars on August 3.
* Rapidly taking shape is the new addition to the southeast end of the Monett R-1 Area Vocational-Technical School shop building.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
September 8, 1979
* The domed top of the King Kong Slide at the Kiwanis Kiddies Playground at Monett South Park was apparently stolen over the Labor Day weekend.
* Plans for the annual Membership Day, to be held later this month, were discussed at last night's regular meeting of Hobbs-Anderson Post 91 Monett American Legion.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
September 8, 1989
* Monett area residents pledged a record $7,413 to the Jerry Lewis Telethon effort over the Labor Day weekend to benefit Muscular Dystrophy.
* All but two of the 61 parcels of property listed on Barry County's delinquent tax lists were sold in the annual auction conducted by Collector of Revenue Misha Hull in Cassville.
TEN YEARS AGO
September 8, 1999
* Tickets are now available for the Cox Monett Hospital Auxiliary's annual Tour of Homes, scheduled for September 12.
* The Monett Women of Today will be having a Fun Night at the Lane Station Bowling Center in Monett on September 9.