SEVENTY YEARS AGO
September 4, 1939
* A estimated $250,000 in damage was caused by the fire at the Majestic Mill in Aurora yesterday. Cause of the fire is being investigated.
* Mr. and Mrs. Doyle McCubbin and Mr. and Mrs. Delbert McClain, of Monett, plan to visit in Fort Smith, Arkansas, over the Labor Day weekend.
SIXTY YEARS AGO
September 4, 1949
* Instrumental music training is being extended to fifth and sixth graders this fall, according to William Hankins, new supervisor of music in Monett schools.
* Mrs. Charles Darnold and children have arrive din Monett for a visit with Mrs. Darnold's mother, Mrs. S.C. Bradley.
FIFTY YEARS AGO
September 4, 1959
* Class presidents in Monett schools this year are senior John Garrett, junior Mark Hunt, sophomore Harold Moseley, freshman Cheryl Edwards, eighth grader Donnie Jacques and seventh grader John Krueger.
* David Kleiboeker, a member of the Pierce City Future Farmers of America chapter, won three honors at the 29th annual Ozarks FFA fat hog show in Springfield.
FORTY YEARS AGO
September 4, 1969
* The nationally known LaFevres of Atlanta, Georgia, and local group, the Morlan family, presented gospel music at the MHS gymnasium last night.
* Gene Mourglia captured the Monett City Men's Golf Tournament championship by defeating Bob Marbut in the finals on Saturday.
THIRTY YEARS AGO
September 4, 1979
* A review of the 1978 and 1979 wheat and feed grain programs in Missouri was the highlight of the Agricultural Stabilization and Conservation county and community committee members meeting in Greenfield yesterday.
* Tony Davis, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Davis, of Route 2, Verona, has accepted the position of choral instructor at Texas Women's University in Denton, Texas.
TWENTY YEARS AGO
September 4, 1989
* Plans have been announced for another major expansion at the Tyson Foods plant in Monett.
* Steve Stidham, president of the Monett Chamber of Commerce, said plans for a study of the Monett retail business community were launched yesterday.
TEN YEARS AGO
September 4, 1999
* Megan Zimmerman, daughter of former Monett police chief Larry Zimmerman and a student at Aurora High School, was first runner-up at the Junior Miss Chick pageant at the Crane Broiler Fest this year.
* Chief Sarcoxie Days, an annual celebration, is planned for September 9-11 in the city of Sarcoxie with a wide range of activities in store for those wishing to attend.